or Connect

Posts by rbryanh

Apple should be forbidden further patents of any kind.  Steve Jobs should be posthumously spanked on BoobTube until hist ghosts blubbers like a nasty, selfish little girl.  Samsung should be placed in stocks in the town square where we can all pelt its collective buttocks would rotten vegetables.   Microsoft should be locked naked in a glass box with 100,000 cockroaches.  Adobe should never been seen in public without a dunce cap on its head and duct tape across its...
The ads are dishonest.  They misrepresent the product, portraying an experience that it does not now, never has, and perhaps never will provide.  In a sane society, they'd be not only illegal, but contemptible.     But here we are, discussing whether it's an effective, amusing, or pretty lie, never mentioning the fact that it's a lie.  Shame on Apple, shame on Scorsese, and most of all, shame on us.
One assumes the seagulls in "Finding Nemo" were the result of observing how humans behave when we allow ourselves to be governed by the abstraction "corporation."     The only thing uglier than the coat-and-tie briefcase blood bath is our sick need to take (i.e., create) sides in what is, at its core, the short-sided destructive word view of greed crazed hoarders who have no goal in life beyond the blind, mindless, and frequently violent accumulation of that which...
"Smart TV makers forming alliances out of fear…"   Anyone who's endured the absurdity of helping an elderly person set up a television system in the last 25 years can only smile at the thought of the various companies involved soiling themselves in terror that a competitor might offer an elegant alternative.  Given the lunatic plethora of interfaces and devouring cable octopi they've been smugly inflicted upon the general populace for decades, the irony of them all...
Jobs also loathed Charmin, preferring Scott brand for its subtly understated marketing and no-nonsense abrasiveness.
  Would that my home town of Seattle were the recipient of such distinctive taste, however corporate.  It's difficult to say which of our two Temples of the  is the blander.  Both are in reprehensible, wretched-excess malls, neither is downtown, and neither adds any more to the culture or flavor of the city than would another benighted Niketown, Pottery Barn, Banana Republic, or Victoria's Secret (Eating Disorder).     But really…  shopping?  The environments are...
"Amazon is likely to follow the same model it put forth with the Kindle Fire…"   …and substantially subsidize the cost of the devices to gain an immediate (and artificial) advantage in the market.
The actual story here is that the CEO of EAPAT openly and without quibbling admits that their standards are at least partially obsolete.  Of course Frisbee, like all CEOs, is temporizing, minimizing, and otherwise trying to draw attention away from his organization's flaws.  Given the rate at which the technology evolves, "long in the tooth" is a euphemism for "grotesquely outdated," i.e., no longer relevant in the real world and in desperate need of revision.   When...
How odd that Ballmer feels it necessary to announce that Microsoft will attempt to copy Apple on all fronts.  When has it ever for a moment been otherwise?     What is it that's so unspeakably crass about the man?  Despite having no such pretensions myself, Ballmer always inclines me to sneer something devastating about arrivistes.  Every time he opens his mouth I find myself responding as though I were Maggie Smith in Downton Abbey, encountering some equine...
Another in an endless succession of examples of Government Inc.©   $22M is the equivalent of taking Google's lunch money.  Such a small fine amounts to tacit permission to go on committing similar intrusions.