or Connect

Posts by rbryanh

That a major retail chain considers customer service to be an experiment tells you everything you need to know about the corporation and why it is at its core a fundamentally bad idea.   In practice, corporations despise their customers the same way politicians loathe their constituents.  We like to pretend that capitalism consists of a network of mutually beneficial contracts, when in practice it's an infinite variety of diseased prostitutes rolling their stupid,...
In politics, in business, in day to day life in America…  It's all about seeming.  We're so flooded with hype that we've forgotten the possibilites of the real.   One doubts it's even occurred to the overlords of Best Buy that Apple's reputation for excellent customer service has been achieved by providing excellent customer service.  No doubt they really do believe they can improve their situation by changing how things look.  It simply doesn't occur to most...
  It would be more productive to wonder at his intent.  Note that Posner was speaking - voluntarily - to Reuters.  Ask yourself what his purpose might be in making such a seemingly outrageous statement.  Consider the uses of hyperbole as a rhetorical device in a culture of mass media and little journalism.  Ponder the perspective of a long and distinguished life on the bench, having seen much and been impressed by little, and having become gruesomely and humorously aware...
  "I refute it thus!" he said, kicking the extraordinary polarization of wealth on our sorry planet.     We are ruled by oligarchs who use their centralized power to stifle innovation with monopolies, though "plutocrats" would be a more accurate term.
It's like the seagulls in Finding Nemo…  "Mine.  Mine.  Mine.  Mine mine mine!"   These companies should all be featured on "Hoarders."   Until then, I'm tweaking my filters to exclude anything containing "Apple" and "patent."  
It's quintessentially Microsoft to smugly anticipate upsetting a market they've proved they don't understand and in which they've never successfully competed with two untested products which don't yet exist.     'Tis pity Gates won't stoop to becoming President of the United States.  He'd make a fine politician.
  In other words, law and principle should bow to expediency and troubled people should knuckle under to whatever corporate overlord offers a few crumbs.   No doubt you're both Steinbeck's countrymen as well as one of his countless, clueless "temporarily inconvenienced millionaires."  Remind me, what's the percentage by which your country's debt exceeds its GNP?  I know it's well over a hundred, but having little talent for schadenfreude, I tend to suppress awareness of...
Steve!  Steve!  I saw your face sculpted in the cat hair clogging the intake grill of my Mac Pro and now I'm healed!     Hush, you fool.  To doubt The Saint is to invite torches, pitchforks, and worse.  Put your black turtleneck back on, weep brokenly, and tell the villagers Satan possessed your keyboard.
I'm overwhelmed by the idea of using software to write a love letter.  It's a notion so ethically, morally, psychologically, and spiritually corrupt that I won't be able to even think about the actual subject of this article until I stop vomiting.     This is one of those moments when I doubt that our species deserves to survive, and am reminded that Dante wrote The Inferno in part for the sheer sadistic pleasure of assigning just such as Mr. Kolinko the punishments...
"…wouldn't leave Apple at any price."   And what a profoundly creepy thing that is.  As I neither work for nor am married to Apple, there's no way I can "leave" it.  The fact that I've purchased some of its products no more makes me a part of Apple than eating a hamburger makes me a cow.   Brand loyalty is the ultimate dysfunctional relationship.  Intelligent consumers regard corporations the way corporations regard their employees:  resources to be exploited...