or Connect

Posts by rbryanh

I like it too, and use it all the time. But my experience resembles that shown in the ads to the same degree that nearly all people look alike because most of us have noses. Which is to say, superficially. Just for the hell of it, I repeated all the commands Apple demonstrates in its advertising. Siri failed 40% of the time. I'm not outraged because it never occurred to me the ads were anything but fantasies. The fact that nearly all advertising is false doesn't...
The same place we signed up to believe using magic words like "beta" and "EULA" should relieve corporations from all responsibility for selling defective goods. Apple's ads show an extraordinary, fluid, seamless experience. If that departs significantly from the reality of the product, its customers are entitled to compensation. The last time I checked, no definition of the word "beta" excused false advertising, and the fact that such dishonesty is usually embodied in...
"Beta" means "our lawyers told us this is how we can sell you an incomplete or broken product and say 'we told you so' rather than pay up when you sue us." Why is we as a society tolerate this crap merely because a product is virtual rather than physical? What would you think of an auto manufacturer who offered a car for sale, claiming its gas tank was in "beta?" The whole things is about as honorable as "Stop whining - I told you I was a violent drunk before you...
You woke me from a drunken stupor for this? Call me when the iBots take a break from figuring out how to implant phones in their Redbull-rotted molars, and actually fix some of the Finder's myriad infuriating bugs, migraine-inducing idiocies, and lost (excuse me, "upgraded") functionality which, by the way, are the reason I was drunk in the first place. I dread Mountain Lion. If Lion is any example, they'll throw out the purr and keep the fleas. Keeping a bottle of...
"Promised?" Have you tested it? Or are you just regurgitating another press release? Have you considered "Apple Outsider: all the press releases fit to repeat" as a name? Is repeating unverified information really all that useful a thing to do?
Intuit has treated its Mac customers as second class citizens for so long I actually have trouble remembering when the abuse started… It's been at least a decade. I'd rather do my bookkeeping with an abacus, a yellow legal pad, and a no. 2 pencil than ever buy another product from them. The fact that it's now the near-universal norm for corporations to treat their customers with contempt in no way excuses it, and makes it all the more important that individuals...
AT&T couldn't excite me if they announced they were going to pay Tatum Channing and Joe Mangianello to strip naked and insinuate high grade cocaine into all my orifices at once while I watched Lilly Tomlin perform Ernestine one more time. It's taken decades but the fetishistically shined jackboot really is on the other foot… They're a telephone company. I don't care. I don't have to.
…which will in no way improve the dismal odds of getting one when it's raining. I love having new and exciting ways to pay for what was never all that great to begin with.
Ohmigod! That's, like so totally kewl! I am sooooo jazzed! A new way to buy things! I just totally absolutely really (really!) love things! Especially while I'm buying them! Of course, being an American, over 90% of what I buy quite literally and actually ends up in the trash within 6 months, no hyperbole or metaphor required. But… Whatever. It's just so totally awesome to be able to buy tihs! And anyway, isn't that, like, why we're here? I mean, Jesus...
One of the differences between journalism and the regurgitation of gossip and press releases (aka "advertising") is that a journalist would consider this story unpublishable. The failure to mention the possible health consequences for Foxconn employees of installing such a large quantity of potentially deadly equipment on what appears to be an emergency schedule not only renders the story all but worthless, but makes one doubt the integrity of the writer and...