or Connect

Posts by Oflife

@mdriftmeyer - spot on. Having met some people like this, despite slick suits and manner, they are as thick as two short planks, and in the position they are because they are completely lacking in any skills or intellect and instead make a living talking pure BS and hope that 'one day' they will be right and make a killing. What is worse is there are so many people like this world-wide today who don't actually know how the things they own are made or operate. Blame celeb...
Cannot believe Google are fragmenting their own Google Drive service! The whole reason I dropped MS and iWorks is for the pure cloud centric focus of Gdocs, drive etc. This now complicates things, like the difference between Chromebooks and Android based tablets/convertibles. Grrr! Or should that be, Googrrr!? (Sorry Apple fans, iCloud is all wrong. Apple didn't try to buy DropBox for nothing.)
If in New York, Siri will only respond to "Find me the nearest cawfee."
I have a fully functional iPhone 1/2G (circa 2007!) whose only slight sign of age, other than a few minor scratches and dings on the aluminum case is that the top power button does have to be depressed fairly hard, but it probably just needs some switch cleaner.
Sorry, I have a Leap Motion, which proves that no matter how technically impressive all this 3D gesture stuff is, it simply does not work or feel right in real world use. Stylus and touch screen all the way, and 3D gestures for spinning 3D objects around in educational and scientific applications only.
I was lucky to pick up an open box (so discounted) Logitech Bluetooth Easy-Switch K811 (full size!) keyboard in John Lewis, here in the UK. It is the most well conceived peripheral I have ever bought in my life, although pricey herein the UK, but better value in the US as usual! Superb key feel (not chicklet), backlit and most importantly, works with up to THREE devices at the same time, just press the function keys (1-3) to switch between your devices, in my case an iPad...
To those criticising jobs, he saw the big picture and put people together, that is what visionary leaders do. CEOs rarely have the (university level) skills to be good at specific hands on work (else they would have no time to run the business because they would be tinkering in the labs), but do tend to have a clear understanding of what can and cannot be achieved, from both a design and business level. Steve Jobs was that sort of person as well as being a superb salesman,...
I think this article shows how completely out of touch some Apple blogs and fans are. (Note: Am typing this on a 13" MBA and have an iPad mini and iPhone - and two Android phones - next to me, so am impartial). For starters, there is nothing at all new or innovative about any of the above. Since a few years ago, I have been able to dock even my most basic Android phone in my car (at the time, a Motorola DEFY running a very old version of Android) and do the following: 1....
Wrong! Although designed to track your (opt in) contacts, Google's Latitude allowed you to track your own device, so whilst not allowing remote wipe etc, did allow you to find a lost device. I think it has been merged with another Google service now. All said, Apple's implementation is more robust.
As a UX guy, and I have publicly trashed it before (after all, a poor UX is not conducive to safe driving!), the Ford Sync UX is a total and utter disaster. If Ford to not adopt iOS or Android as their future in car control and entertainment system, I for one would not buy or recommend their vehicles. What were they thinking?! Or did MS pay Ford simply because they want to be on board, rather than because MS offer a 'superior' experience, which they don't. Fact: MS cannot...