or Connect

Posts by Oflife

iPad/iOS is instantly accessible. Although the Surface hardware is nice, the UX whilst appearing friendly with the tiles, lacks the common sense nature of iOS and Android, the latter which is similar to a desktop PC/OSX, whilst the former is basically, push button action! Touch one icon for this, another for that. No new user interface paradigm to comprehend.
There is no failure of open. Open is a great way for devs to get started. Free, great knowledgeable hacker/geek support community, etc. However, no business or individual worth their salt is going to be able to rely on products, services, ecosystems, apps etc that are not supported by a dedicated well funded team. There is a reason why Apple are killing Blackberry, and beyond usability, it is because they are increasingly trusted in a corporate environment. And that is...
There is no failure of open. Open is a great way for devs to get started. Free, great knowledgeable hacker/geek support community, etc. However, no business or individual worth their salt is going to be able to rely on products, services, ecosystems, apps etc that are not supported by a dedicated well funded team. There is a reason why Apple are killing Blackberry, and beyond usability, it is because they are increasingly trusted in a corporate environment. And that is...
So, uhm, what if I have a setup like now, with my SD card slot used regularly, and a cable connected to the USB port too?
You almost had me there, then I got it. Clever! (Typing this on a late 2011 MBA 13" that is still good enough really, proving your point.) Only reason I need to upgrade is that I have filled the 256GB SSD, and like all my content with me, so it's not a matter of just moving files elsewhere. So, a fully loaded 512GB 2013 13" MBA is on the shopping list.
Apple sleep with the enemy, because they have no choice. But one day, the carriers will be carrion. And when that day comes to pass, it will be good. BTW, here in the UK, we get lots of data for little money. Three (3) in particular are excellent for that.
The mini DisplayPort / Thunderbolt connector is not really that good. I have a 2011 MBA 13" connected to a superb Dell monitor via DisplayPort, but the plug that goes into the MBA is not as well thought out as say Lightening, and likewise, the large connector that plugs into the monitor (looks like an HDMI with only one chamfered corner) is very very difficult to unplug. It is a pity the industry could not agree on the anyway up Lightening connector for Thunderbolt and...
Perfectly timed article. Today, to my horror, I discovered that both USB ports on my 2011 MacBook Air 13" have developed a fault that means my (portable) backup drive keeps being kicked off - I even bought a new drive, thinking initially it was the drive. Visit to Apple store (Reading, England) confirmed it's the MBA, which is out of warranty, and I'm not willing to pay to have it fixed. So, I went to check out the portable Thunderbolt equipped drives. None, except one...
I know this comment will be met with fire and brimstone, but a touch screen MBA would be superb. I actually like flipping my finger up or down the screen on my iPad/Phone store demo Windows 8 machine, and could never go back. It's an intuitive way to browse and scroll - and a stylus would be even nicer, if the display flipped down flat. Apple must be working on something like this because they have patented it.
For the record, I invented a hybrid optical/inductive coupling system - in 1991, and I published it through a document proposing a universal storage media standard. Being I am now a company director, for legal reasons, I cannot say more, other than the fact, I look forward to challenging Apple's patent on the grounds of prior art.