or Connect

Posts by Oflife

Apple MUST introduce touch screens to ALL their laptops. As an avid iPad user, I am constantly swiping up and down the screen on my MacBook Air 13" after using my iPad. It is the most intuitive and speedy way to scroll up and down a web page or document, and pinch to zoom is the most intuitive manner in which to, well, zoom in or out or or scale an item. (Grafio on iOS uses pinch to zoom to scale objects - and once you have tried it, there is no going back to slower less...
If any invention like this is to really take off, then like MIDI (one of the few long term successful technical standards that has NOT required a constant change in connector types), Apple need to do as Roland did (and Ericsson did with Bluetooth) and release the spec and keep the royalties as low as possible, if any at all. A garden walled connector ecosystem may in fact harm sales. For example, I'm deferring purchase of an iPhone 5 because I am so heavily invested in...
Some of you are missing the point. Apple are slowly migrating us all towards a high speed (almost) always on cloud based future, where machines like the iMac will be sexy 'light weight' terminals, and won't require as much power or memory as pure desktop paradigm hardware does. Just as Siri offloads most if not all the work to Apple's servers, so, power apps (including those like Photoshop) will one day also hand over some of their tasks to remote servers making the...
Odd, because whilst I have no absolute historical proof they invented and developed it, I was colleagues with the two lead engineers behind Siri (over 10 years ago whilst they were at SRI) and assumed it was their development. I do know they were doing some remarkably stuff with artificial intelligence techniques. It is odd that Apple are being sued now so long after.
Just as Apple have purchased a few companies to give them control over the design and fabrication of their CPUs, so they may have to purchase or take a controlling stake in a display vendor - and LG, whose handset division is having a hard time being taken seriously today, may be ideal. LG could also embed iOS into their TVs. With flexible displays the next big thing, and Samsung already way ahead on this, if Apple are unable to source such technology, they must produce...
I went into a Vodafone store here in the UK. Not only where both the iPhone 5s not connected to any power source, (batteries discharged too), but the black one had pot marks all around the edge. Not sure why Vodafone are intentionally not promoting the iPhone 5 (all the other brands of phone were connected and working fine), but I could guess that they may be intentionally discouraging purchase because of the potential for returns. BTW, whilst I have seen people leaving...
I'm an Apple fan, but this story is completely without merit! First of all, the reason for this is because the second the 10 million people or so upgraded to iOS 6 (on iPhone 4, 4S and iPads) Apple maps suddenly became the default mapping and navigation option. People had no choice! As someone who has been using Android handsets in parallel with an iPhone, Google's mapping offering whilst not as pretty as Apple's, is light years ahead, even muddy paths and walkways in the...
A cloaking device? #iRomulan
As more and more people say to me (unsolicited), the iPhone 5 marks the beginning of the end for Apple as a major player - unless they start to be more thoughtful. Their product range is a complete mess, from Thunderbolt to Pages, where there is no consistency or fluidity between their own or industry standards. A contrast to the open and therefore more flexible less costly alternatives.
Cannot believe parents would allow their children to be in the same room as a dumbed down trash like that.