or Connect

Posts by Oflife

Oh my God! No no no, this is INCREDIBLE! For years, decades even, many have grown despondent at the lack of genuine technical and design innovation from Cupertino. But this headline and crotch grabbing achievement in precision engineering and ergonomic aesthetics changes everything! FTW!
Actually, unless they make it thicker, anything larger than about 15" in the MBA form factor will be very fragile, or at least, subject to warping unless made of a very tough material.   Chances are, the new MB Pros will feature a much higher resolution (Retina?) display so even a 13 or 15" machine will effectively offer the same or better workspace than a 17" using lower res display.   Even the iPad has a high res than a current gen 17"!    
"but will not be a star seller." they sold a million in first few weeks. I sold our iPad 2 and am getting a Note, it is a superb device.
...because I am not yet in the need for anything better and waiting for the '5'. I bought the 1G second hand last year, and yes, running iOS 3X it is a tad slow at some operations, but no matter how many Android handsets I try (each of which is versatile and 'fun'), non offer the display quality and user experience of iOS. Just placing a call on an iPhone is pure pleasure, as is texting. The icing on the cake for the 1G is the industrial design and build quality that is...
Well, I was pretty young back then so I cannot comment on what IBM were up to. Interested to learn more about what you say/claim. Note that Apple are also exceptionally controlling today. I have used and do use their products since 1990 and there are a lot of issues which most consumers do not realise the flaws in. Let's put it this way, when colleagues of mine (educated techies, not dumb dumbs), try a Mac after any other platform, they are horrified at the GUI and...
True enemies need to be flawed or evil, and IBM were not and are not. Yes, they appear boring, however not in reality: 1. Their products are exceptionally reliable - hence you see pre Lenovo Think Pads in use still today. In fact, I would happily pay for a ThinkPad that ran OS X for that superb keyboard! 2. IBM put a lot of effort into ergonomics - again, consider our love of clicky keyboards, starting with the IBM PC, and the excellent ThinkPad keyboards. 3...
Please see the whole Samsung Galaxy Note ecosystem of peripherals available at Clove.co.uk. Much better thought out than Apple's iOS device system, as is the superb inductive dock offered with the sadly defunct Palm/HP WebOS TouchPad. Apple should add a stylus, proper iOS Bluetooth etc on/off controls on demand, without delving through menu options, make the iPad controls VISIBLE from the front of the device so you don't have to guess where they are - as per the iPad...
Chances are, most people know that 'stuff' is bad for them - geeks included, but we are so wound up in our lives and dependent on it all, we cannot 'escape'. On a more optimistic front, I think a move towards sustainable 'life friendly' manufacturing will be made possible with 3D printing and what I call 'near organic' manufacturing. The issue will remain however, how to undo the pollution in our system today and the billions whose minds will deteriorate in the mean time....
Siri only currently requires Apple's servers because it's providing the sort of information that is real time, such as weather or other. However, in controlling a TV, it will be mainly used for choosing channels & content, and making adjustments, such as "Mute volume" or "Lower volume". Either way, if they can handle millions of iPhones, I am sure they can handle TVs, that are likely to sell in lesser quantities unless mind blowingly innovative.
It is that attitude which is why the West is in the mess it is. Liberal thinking that says a) Employ people, even if you do not need or cannot afford them. b) Loan people money for items or property they havn't a hope in hell of repaying. Further down the road, the wheels then start to fall off. As is happening now as overpaid council staff (here in UK anyway) are sapping up money that could otherwise pay for actual services. Apple can do what they like, they are a...