or Connect

Posts by Oflife

(Consider I am an MacBook, iPad 2, Motorola DEFY and iPhone user.) I can testify to the fact that the PlayBook is superb in every respect, with one big 'but'. a) Display resolution and brightness. b) Speed and responsiveness. c) Usability - once you get used to the concept of dragging from the bezel. d) Graphic design of the apps and OS (nothing like the horrible Blackberry devices). Just check out the calculator! Lovely! e) Multitasking, that unlike iOS (and Android), is...
...I have owned both iPad 1 and 2, and even with 512MB in the iPad 2, web browsing is horrible - and I won't accept Apple fanbois (of which I am one when they yet things right, such as the MB Air 11"), but 1. Scrolling on a web page is nasty with iPad Safari - the content jumps back up to the top if some content is still loading, something that never happens on any other browser. 2) Worse, and some of us thought this would be cured with iPad 2, content keeps reloading...
1) Google calendar has done this for years. 2) Apple could have implemented it in iOS 1.0 from day one with about half a day of coding and 3) Done the cloud syncing of calendars and contacts etc back then too, even on 2G networks. (I have an iPhone 1.0 and it syncs with Google fine over 2G!) 4) Apple intentionally left out this feature in order to make those who are too non critical of the company to wait and wait, buy the next device and wait for the nex upgrade. It is...
I thought that was designed to replace USB and also deliver power (to peripherals). So if Apple are going to create their own data transfer cable, will they license it as a standard, as they have done with Quicktime? Or are we once again going to have to spend extra dollar on Apple only cables and peripherals, like those in the iDevice ecosystem? If so, I'm abandoning OS X and iOS and going 100% Android and Chrome, so I can save money.
I see in the notes that they refer to using iPhone as a controller, but I am concluding that the iPhone is acting a remote. However, could not the camera be used in place of the laser/optics on a regular mouse, so if the iPhone or iPod Touch (4G) was placed on a protective mat, it could also act as a mouse itself, with the touch screen providing the proposed contextual short cuts?
Apple have over the last few years focused too much on media consumption, rather than media creation. a) Glossy displays, that have upset many top designers and photographers. b) Loss of focus on their power user hardware, that is still twice the price of Windows equivalent. (17" Dell laptop with 1920x1200 display = £650, 17" MacBook Pro, £19XX). WTF? c) Lack of stylus on iPad makes precision operation, text selection and of course, artistry, a pain - and no amount of poor...
...because although the button acts as a superb panic button, in particular in the dark, one often spins the iPad around to find the button because it is not backlit. Secondly, removing the button would enable a thinner bezel, and thirdly, if you have ever used Apple's 'Photos' iPad app, it also uses the multi finger 'Home' gesture to collapse photo album views back to the their index stacks, an intuitive and obvious interface paradigm that needs to be extended across to...
Enough said. I'm disgusted.
And it will be different.
...the other day, I was shocked how confusing and over 'swipy' it was. Although anything that replaces the desktop metaphor is welcome, this was really just not working out. Further, the lack of multitasking and frequent hang ups made it unusable. I gave up, leaving two HTC WM7 phones frozen in the Carphone Warehouse store. I do agree, and blogged or tweeted on this ages ago that WM7 is a threat to Android, if it is successful. Google have such a lead and a powerful...