or Connect

Posts by karmadave

The iPod may have been a closed system, but it was in no way a 'monopoly'. Users were free to rip their CD's and install music purchased from the iTunes Store. What they could not do was install music encoded with competing Digitial Rights Management (DRM) from companies like Real or Microsoft. It makes perfect sense for Apple not to support competing DRM. As I recall, Steve Jobs was also a huge proponent of getting the labels to drop their requirement for DRM by...
I don't see Mac ever having more than a small segment of the Enterprise market. Microsoft is simply too entrenched and corporate bean counters are to wedded to the Wintel duopoly. iPhone and to some degree iPad has made significant inroads and now account for the largest share of smartphone and tablet segments thus giving Apple a degree of penetration that Mac never did or will ever have in the Enterprise. I see this partnership as being more important to IBM than to...
Samsung is a huge Korean conglomerate with many other LOB's. They still generates tons of cash and will be a formidable competitor, in smartphones, tablets, and PC's for years to come...
Consumers will ultimately vote with their wallets or should I say smart phones. No need to threaten lawsuits or investigations. I for one will seek out merchants that offer Apple Pay and only use my debit card. Basically turning my smartphone into digital cash...
I attribute much of this to the 'hallo' effect. As more people use iOS, they are looking at purchasing a Mac when they need a new machine. I think Apple's pricing moves, on MacBook Air, helped drive sales too. Overall, a really great quarter for Apple with the only real issue being iPad sales...
The IBM partnership will help, but it will not significantly boost iPad sales. IBM doesn't really have a sales organization geared to selling end user devices and not every company is working with IBM Global Services. In order to move the needle Apple will have to convince existing users to upgrade and bring lots of new users into the fold. I personally see no reason to upgrade my iPad 4 since it runs everything just great. A 12" iPad could be interesting, especially with...
Intel needs to keep the PC relavent and cool or they will see their revenue and profits fall. They simply can't sell a chip, in a tablet, on such thin margins and as much as they make fat margins on servers the volume is simply not enough. Apple will continue to use Intel, on Macintosh, because the switching costs do not outweigh the advantages. Most of Intel's efforts lately have focused on core-density and power management. Clock speed is still important, but somewhat...
Most of Netflix content is delivered by Akamai. They have made it a corporate strategy to leverage cloud providers, such as AWS, and content providers instead of building their own data centers.
I think they have Cortana running on some of the Lumias at the local MS Store, but I yet to check it out. As many others have noted, it's now really a two horse race, between Samsung and Apple, with Microsoft a distant third. And to think Windows Phone was once the market leader. Well at least Ballmer will finally own the LA Clippers
I can certainly understand why some folks would get worked up over Quicken for Mac, but the flip side is that revenue generated funds software projects and the volume of product sold simply matched the investment. That's the cold, hard truth of software development. Apple is unique in that their software investments drive hardware sales. Most ISV's business model only allows them to invest resources where it will generate the most profits and thus returns for shareholders....