or Connect

Posts by karmadave

The IBM partnership will help, but it will not significantly boost iPad sales. IBM doesn't really have a sales organization geared to selling end user devices and not every company is working with IBM Global Services. In order to move the needle Apple will have to convince existing users to upgrade and bring lots of new users into the fold. I personally see no reason to upgrade my iPad 4 since it runs everything just great. A 12" iPad could be interesting, especially with...
Intel needs to keep the PC relavent and cool or they will see their revenue and profits fall. They simply can't sell a chip, in a tablet, on such thin margins and as much as they make fat margins on servers the volume is simply not enough. Apple will continue to use Intel, on Macintosh, because the switching costs do not outweigh the advantages. Most of Intel's efforts lately have focused on core-density and power management. Clock speed is still important, but somewhat...
Most of Netflix content is delivered by Akamai. They have made it a corporate strategy to leverage cloud providers, such as AWS, and content providers instead of building their own data centers.
I think they have Cortana running on some of the Lumias at the local MS Store, but I yet to check it out. As many others have noted, it's now really a two horse race, between Samsung and Apple, with Microsoft a distant third. And to think Windows Phone was once the market leader. Well at least Ballmer will finally own the LA Clippers
I can certainly understand why some folks would get worked up over Quicken for Mac, but the flip side is that revenue generated funds software projects and the volume of product sold simply matched the investment. That's the cold, hard truth of software development. Apple is unique in that their software investments drive hardware sales. Most ISV's business model only allows them to invest resources where it will generate the most profits and thus returns for shareholders....
Apple definitely cares about units and marketshare. They can only continue to invest in MacOS if they can amortize the cost across a large number of units. In other words, Mac sales fund MacOS development. I think Apple has done a good job, with the MacBook Air (display resolution notwithstanding) they need to get much more aggressive with other models. While PC's are no longer a growth market they still generate a ton of revenue and fair amount of margin for the top vendors.
I guess copying Apple can only get you so far...
I think there is a huge backstory involving lots of vendor protests, back room dealing, etc. The bottom line is you are never going to get a large, public institution like LAUSD to 'standardize' on any one platform. There are multiple factions each with their own preferences and agendas. The higher ups probably came to the conclusion that they needed to offer a range of devices and allows teachers and administrators to choose what they want within a list of supported...
John Stewart famously ripped CNBC, and Jim Cramer in particular, with providing false and misleading information to viewers for their own financial gain. Whether TC is gay or not is his own damn business and doesn't effect my opinion of him one bit. CNBC and other so called financial news channels are acting in their own self interest, not yours. Period. End of story...
I can't see Amazon being sucessful selling an Android phone, especially if Google is struggling to compete in the handset business and finally threw in the towel. But hey, Bezos is welcome to throw his smartphone into the ring and give it a go...