or Connect

Posts by karmadave

Word
I can appreciate how some of Apple's hardcore fans might be disappointed by the 4S. Putting aside for a moment that Steve Jobs is not there to wow the crowd, Apple delivered a solid upgrade to an already great smartphone. Apple, like most companies, has limited development resources and cannot always re-invent their latest products. I know that this will make no difference to some people, but for the vast majority of consumers, the 4S will more than suffice. Those who find...
I'd be fine with an improved iPhone 4 design and a low-end version too. Android phones really don't interest me, but obviously Apple needs to deliver on features to stay competitive. All of this is really speculation until Tuesday's announcement. Just as important, in my opinion, is Apple's delivery of iOS 5 with promised features and ontime.
This looks like a good move for Amazon. It's basically a 'razors and blades' strategy. Sell the device for as little as possible to make money selling content. The content and distribution has always been the key to these types of devices. Apple will continue to do VERY well with their iPad which has carved out a nice niche in the business community. The Kindle is really designed more as a consumer device with very little appeal to businesses. Interesting times we live in....
The voice of reason. Most people have no clue as to what's involved in building and running a large-scale web applications infrastructure. It makes perfect sense that Apple would build it's software platform in such a way that it can be run on any number of 'cloud' infrastructures including Amazon, Microsoft, and others. Apple has stumbled badly, in Cloud Services, and they cannot afford to have iCloud fail especially due to lack of a scalable, reliable infrastructure.
How ever much money HP looses on unit they can make up in volume
Palm (or HP) should have scrapped the hardware and licensed WebOS to OEM's in the first place. There was NO chance another vertically-integrated ecosystem (such as iPhone/iOS) was going to be successful in competing with Apple or Google. Google waited until Android was established before buying MM, but it will be interesting to see how their OEM's deal with this. In my opinion, HP should sell WebOS and be done with it...
Nobody really knows SJ's medical condition except himself and his doctor. Many people are purely speculating. Being CEO is an incredibly demanding job and from what I've read SJ was a very hands on CEO. Being Chairman gives him the opportunity to step away from the day-to-day grind, which would likely take a toll on anyone's health, especially for a cancer and liver transplant survivor. Who knows how long SJ has to live. However long he's got, he's entitled to live in...
I think this pretty much sums up the situation. HP can spin this all they want, but without a hardware platform, either directly or via OEM's. WebOS is dead...
Getting back to HP's dropping of TouchPad and Phone, this was entirely predictable when they acquired Palm. This is an acquisition I heavily criticized at the time...