or Connect

Posts by karmadave

Anyone know what the networking equipment was/is for WWDC? I can guarantee it's not a bunch of APX routers. Maybe Cisco, Juniper, or perhaps Aruba?
It's just one more thing the carriers will resist until they realize the game is up and find other methods of squeezing their customers. The carries will ALWAYS find away to make $$$. iMessage just forces them to get more 'creative'...
Microsoft had purchased TellMe a few years ago which is how they got into the 'voice navigated web' game. TellMe had great technology and I used to sell them Sun gear. The backend of their applications were built on x86 hardware and Solaris. Nuance is also a former customer, of mine, and they seemed to have great technology too. I think relationships are probably as or more important when choosing a particular solution. One factor may be that Apple simply has much more...
Somebody is smoking some pretty strong stuff here. I see Apple increasing it's use of Intel manufactured processors. Moving to ARM, for the Macintosh, makes no sense for a number of reasons. Apple seems to be very invested in their own ARM design for iPhone, iPod, iPad, AppleTV, and whatever iOS devices they bring to market in the future. This report is bogus...
I stand corrected Professor Apple no doubt has some of the best designers, in the world, working on ARM designs. Intel makes sense as a manufacturing partner since they are the worlds largest chip manufacturer. In any case, the fact that Apple might even be considering this gives them further leverage with their existing contract manufacturers.
There's really no 'secret sauce' here as the ARM design is openly licensable to anyone. It makes sense for Apple to second source the manufacture of their design especially since Samsung is a competitor. Apple and Intel have collaborated in the past (Thunderbolt) and Intel is currently the exclusive provider of microprocessors for Macintosh. Intel would like to 'own' the chip market for mobile devices, but not only is Atom too power hungry, but it's 'exclusive' business...
This is pretty much a 'no brainer' for the US Army. They aren't going to deploy ANY device, in the field, unless they can modify the source code. I doubt Apple, Microsoft, or HP are going to provide or allow them this privilege. The US Military was one of the first to adopt Open Standards and in fact had a large hand in designing what is now the Internet. The US Army has some extremely sharp people and you can bet that the utmost care and consideration was taken in this...
Smart move on Apple's part. Much of the space, in my local Apple Store, is wasted on 3rd party stuff that Apple could just as easily sell online. By providing a more personalized buying experience, they will further differentiate themselves. People buy Apple products not only because they are more elegant, but because the Apple Store provides a home-base and 'lifeline' to consumers. That's my opinion...
This deal seems to make good business sense for both Nokia and Microsoft. Nokia gets a modern smartphone OS while Microsoft gets the distribution of the world's largest mobile handset manufacturer. Seems like a win/win to me. Guess time will tell and both companies will no doubt be hedging their bets. It will be interesting to see what happens now that HP has re-entered the fray. In my opinion, there are only three platforms that can successfully make money. The...
Regardless, Oracle has a reputation for fiercely protecting it's IP. Look at what they just did to SAP? My guess is that Larry Page will decide it's not worth the liability and legal fees and settle with Oracle. Google took a huge risk by providing a non-licensed implementation of Java. RIM choose to license JVM, from Sun, several years ago while Apple decided to forgo Java, on iPhone, altogether. When Microsoft tried to ship a non-Sun version, of Java, they sued by Sun...