or Connect

Posts by karmadave

Most of the $9B is to write off their purchase of EDS. Unlike IBM, HP has not successfully made the transition to 'services-led' company and is too reliant on product sales. Obviously, tablets and smartphones have impacted ALL PC makers and HP, being the largest has felt the biggest impact. Whether Meg can turn the ship around is still TBD. I've had a couple of recently un-employed HP folks contact me lately about a job. Needless to say, HP has a long road ahead of it...
While I think Woz's comment was a bit over the top, he is perfectly free to speak his mind. People can either take it or leave it. Fusion IO, where he's the chief scientist, builds solid state storage that sit directly on the PCIe bus. Unlike SSD's a Fusion IO card doesn't go through a SAS or SATA controller and thus has much lower latency. Many of the more well-known search engines, cloud providers, and social networks are Fusion IO customers. Wozniak is no idiot. He...
Windows 8 is critical to M$'s tablet strategy in that it's the first (and only) version of Windows with a multitouch interface. I predict most IT shops will stick with Windows 7 for their PC's while consumers will use whatever came pre-loaded on their systems. Windows 8 could also find a niche on touchscreen PC's used in Retail. Mac users, for the most part will go on with their daily lives...
This is basically the same conclusion I have reached. M$ realizes that tablets are not like PC's where you can just provide the software. In order to be optimized they need to control the entire user experience. I suspect they realize this with the phone OS as well and will acquire what's left of Nokia. I predict that Windows 8, and NOT Android Tablets will become the alternative to iPad.  
The carriers are unlikely to stop subsidizing the iPhone UNLESS they are prohibited from locking customers into a 2 year contract. Since I see no indication this is happening anytime soon I'd say this analyst's opinion is just that. An opinion and you know what they say about options. Opinions are like assholes and everybody has one
I very much Steve Jobs was putting on a 'show' when he made his comments about Android. Anyone who's been around this industry, for a while, knows that Microsoft pulled the same BS on Apple with Windows. Steve was probably having a visceral reaction to Google's change of direction, with Android, post iPhone introduction.
The Dell XPS 13 is the nicest non-Apple Ultrabook I have seen. (the MBA is an Ultrabook IMO). If you are a Windows person or your organization doesn't support Macs, the XPS 13 is definitely worth considering...
I've been waiting for 1080p before buying an AppleTV. Thanks!
As I predicted when iPad was announced Apple is making incremental, but useful updates to the platform. They are the most focused and diciplined company on the planet. Adding 4G is probably most useful to corporations, while Consumers will benefit most from the higher resolution display and graphics. Good job Apple. Your competitors are still trying to catch up with the iPad 2 and you've set the bar even higher. This will be another HUGE seller for Apple!
I personally think Apple would be making a big mistake not offering their Pro customers and upgrade path to Sandy Bridge Xeon. There are a lot of creative professionals in Music, Video, Graphics, etc. that would likely migrate to PC platforms...