or Connect

Posts by karmadave

The market dynamics of Servers is vastly different since as others have stated. It's becoming more and more 'commoditized' with OS's running in a virtualized layer. Apple's xServe brought no competitive advantages and being tied to Apple's OSX Server was a major drawback for Window-centric IT shops. Perhaps if VMWare supported it with Windows and Linux as host OS's it might have had a chance. Apple was wise to kill it (along with their RAID product) and focus on their...
Adobe is good at cranking out new versions, of existing products, with 'brutal efficiency'. Apple's recent software efforts have been lagging, in my opinion, so bringing in a guy with software experience makes some sense. Apple REALLY needs to get it's act together in Cloud services. This has never been one of the company's strengths dating all the way back to the AppleLink debacle. iCloud is really not much more than sync technology with very little application...
These lawsuits are similar to the one Apple waged against Microsoft over the Macintosh's look and feel. Microsoft eventually prevailed just as I predict Samsung will. The courts generally consider harm done to Consumers and not whether a company was harmed. While I am an iPhone user, having Android handset manufacturers, as competition, has generally benefited consumers through more/better choice, faster innovation, and lower prices. Now Apple is free to pursue other...
I actually liked Scully personally but disagreed with him then and disagree with him now. His decision to make 'cheap' Macintoshes, sold through discount retailers, was a disaster.If Apple can deliver an iPhone for emerging markets, with the same high quality standards, then more power to them. If they build a 'cheap iPhone' it may benefit them in the short run but in the long-run it will hurt Apple's brand.
The issue is not should Apple make a 'cheap iPhone' it's how does Apple address emerging markets were carriers do not subsidize the purchase of the device?    I worked at Apple when Scully was CEO and quite frankly he did not identify Apple's real problem at the time. It wasn't that Apple couldn't compete on price with the PC manufacturers. It's that Apple quit innovating and lost it's differentiation to 'Wintel'.   Frankly, I trust Apple's current management to...
WiGig is used mainly for short-range devices such as monitors, docking stations, and media-rich devices. Since Apple already uses Thunderbolt as a docking solutions, I assume Apple has other applications in mind. Dell is one of the first manufactures to adopts WiGig on their Latitude 6430u Ultrabook... http://www.businessinsider.com/wigig-faster-wireless-networking-2012-10
I think Microsoft's biggest mistake, with Windows 8, was forcing the touch/tile interface on PC users. It's necessary for tablets, but the dual screen confuses most PC users. I predict 1) Windows 7 will be around for a LONG time and b) Microsoft will allow PC users to disable Metro in a future Windows 8 update. It's really New Coke vs. Coke Classic all over again...
Most of the $9B is to write off their purchase of EDS. Unlike IBM, HP has not successfully made the transition to 'services-led' company and is too reliant on product sales. Obviously, tablets and smartphones have impacted ALL PC makers and HP, being the largest has felt the biggest impact. Whether Meg can turn the ship around is still TBD. I've had a couple of recently un-employed HP folks contact me lately about a job. Needless to say, HP has a long road ahead of it...
While I think Woz's comment was a bit over the top, he is perfectly free to speak his mind. People can either take it or leave it. Fusion IO, where he's the chief scientist, builds solid state storage that sit directly on the PCIe bus. Unlike SSD's a Fusion IO card doesn't go through a SAS or SATA controller and thus has much lower latency. Many of the more well-known search engines, cloud providers, and social networks are Fusion IO customers. Wozniak is no idiot. He...
Windows 8 is critical to M$'s tablet strategy in that it's the first (and only) version of Windows with a multitouch interface. I predict most IT shops will stick with Windows 7 for their PC's while consumers will use whatever came pre-loaded on their systems. Windows 8 could also find a niche on touchscreen PC's used in Retail. Mac users, for the most part will go on with their daily lives...