or Connect

Posts by karmadave

IMHO, this whole WebOS episode is nothing but an expensive distraction for HP. In 2 years the market will still be dominated by iOS and maybe Android or M$. Today, HP makes the majority of it's profits selling 'big iron' and services to corporations. Minus the $$$ they make on printer consumables, HP has been only marginally profitable with their Consumer-based products. WebOS would have sunken them deeper into that whole because they have to carry all of the R&D costs....
Digibarn, in Santa Cruz, has a pretty interesting collection of 'vintage' Apple products:http://www.digibarn.com/collections/...all/index.html
Dell is doing just fine. There simply is no market for an Android tablet in the Enterprise which is where Dell now gets most of it's revenue. Amazon is loosing money on each Kindle Fire it sells and early reports have been less than stellar. Apple is in a unique position with iPad which is very popular with Consumers and making it's way into many Enterprises. My prediction is that the only thing that has a chance of challenging iPad is a revamped Windows 8 running on a...
Intel has been doing 'reference designs' for years. Most PC manufacturers do very little R&D and focus primarily on Marketing and Distribution. The larger PC makers, such as Dell and HP, do try and differentiate themselves through design and 'advanced' features. Apple is really in a class by itself when it comes to the design and marketing of their products. Not only do they build both the OS and hardware, but they have a design group that is second to none. Finally, they...
Tellme used to be a customer of mine prior to their acquisition by Microsoft. Their technology is really based on 'voice navigation of the web'. AT&T is/was one of their largest customers. Siri is based on AI technology developed at Stanford Research Institute (SRI hence the name 'Siri'). This interview is another M$ executive saying 'we have that too' without really knowing what he's talking about. It's not that Tellme isn't good technology, it's just different than Siri....
Well, from a hardware-standpoint there is really nothing from the PC world that compares to the MacBook Air. They are the lightest, slimmest laptops on the market. From an OS-perspective, MacOS is more elegant, stable, and easier for the 'average' user. This is my personal opinion and I use both. Of course, Lane could be running Windows OS instead of MacOS. We really can't tell from the picture. Maybe BETTER isn't the right word. I'd say more FLEXIBLE...
Really a non-issue. Executives are typically less computer savvy and use whatever tools are the least hassle. There is simply no doubt that MacOS is a better operating system than Windows. Microsoft dominates PC's due to their business model, not because they have a better OS...
I think many people under-estimate Microsoft, especially in the Enterprise. IT Managers looking for alternatives to RIM will look seriously at WP7 for several reasons: - It's running a Microsoft OS just like the majority of PC's in their company. - They can cost-effectively deploy, manage, and secure it. - It's integrates easily with Exchange which most corporations run. Microsoft will not become as dominant in smartphones as they are in PC's and Servers, as Apple grows...
I think there's probably a 7" iPod Touch in Apple's lab. The question is whether they release it to fight off the Kindle Fire (and BN Nook) or not. My guess is that you will see such a device before the 2012 Holiday Season...
Android is going to push Apple to accelerate development of future iPhones. I've used both and my personal preference is iPhone. However, competition is a win for consumers. It forces companies to innovate and keeps prices in line. This is why I'm against AT&T's acquisition of T-Mobile. I ran into Woz at the Apple Store Valley Fair Mall a few years ago. We chatted for a few minutes. Super-nice guy.