or Connect

Posts by AaronJ

There might be some of that.  But this just seems like another "build up our ecosystem and services structure to make our hardware (where our bread is buttered) more attractive and interesting to potential buyers" move.  If they can sell a few more iPhones and Macs by creating Apple Music, then they've already made a profitable move. Having T-Swizzle certainly doesn't hurt, of course.
I didn't say that she had been doing fine without digital sales.  Obviously that's not true. But if Apple had never created iTunes, someone else would be the industry leader, and Taylor would have been selling most of her music through them.
No, I mean that no one buys CDs anymore.  Hell, in the last quarter vinyl sales outnumbered CD sales! Your typical teenage Taylor Swift fan probably doesn't own a single CD.  She wants a new song or album, say Swift's "1989" she goes to iTunes (or another digital provider) and buys it. Physical media, while it will never disappear altogether, is very much on the way out.  In some areas (such as music) it's almost out completely now.
Honestly?  I don't think either of them needs it.  Apple is trying something to expand their ecosystem and lure people in, like a gateway drug.  And T-Swizzle, like I said before, is a complete hardass when it comes to business. But Apple has been doing just fine without the Music service, and Taylor's been doing just fine without Apple.
Um, I'm a huge T-Swizzle fan, but I'm much older than her typical fans.  And I can guarantee you: They aren't buying her CDs. :)
Was it the company with $200B cash and a Market Cap of nearly $750B that needed the marketing ploy, or was it the singer/songwriter/performer who basically is keeping her entire industry afloat by herself, and is worth over $200M (soon to be $300M) at age 25 who needed it? Just curious.
Excellent point.
 The thing about Taylor (and her team) is that she's pretty much always been like this.  I mean, if people don't follow her business experiences, they see her smiling, laughing with her super-model friends, Tweeting about her cat, etc.  And that probably is what she's like, from day to day.  I mean, I doubt people like Lily Aldridge, Karlie Kloss, Gigi Hadid, etc. would be her BFFs if she were some selfish uber-bitch. But man, when it comes to business -- she doesn't take...
The intersting thing about all of this is that it's probably , in the end, not all that important economically to her.  I mean, "1989" sold over 1M copies in the first week (the first to do so since 2002 -- Eminem).  But more to the point, artists make the vast majority of their revenue from touring.  And she's selling out everywhere, while playing football and soccer stadiums.   And man, I was thinking about seeing her when she played here at Ford Field where the Lions...
T-Swizzle may very well be the most powerful person on Earth!   :)   Seriously, though, she certainly is the most powerful person in the music industry.  Hell, for all intents and purposes, she IS the music industry these days.  This never made a difference to me, except on a theoretical level, as I own all of her music on iTunes anyways.  Listening to her right now, as a matter of fact.   But all joking aside from my first line, it really does sort of show how...