or Connect

Posts by AaronJ

They are not excuses, they are explanations.  If, for instance, you don't have a picture ID in states that now require them, you can't vote.  That is not an excuse, it's a fact.  And for some people it is very difficult (either because they lack the proper paperwork or because it's expensive for them) to get those IDs. The fact that voting takes place on what for most people is a workday is not entirely fair or sane. Etc. And I know that last statement wasn't directed...
 Because if you lack curiosity you can never make yourself a better, fuller person.  Without a search for knowledge, to at least some degree, your existence is completely pointless (now, I have made the argument that our existence is pointless anyways, but that's a different discussion).  Do you really want to live your life like some lower life form -- eating, sleeping, reproducing, with absolutely no understanding or knowledge about the world around you? As to why it's...
 That's true of anything, really. "Look, I really like rap, but ..." Pretty much anything that starts with "I really like [x], but ..." is just going to be followed with total BS.  It's one of the most annoying things I encounter regularly.
 1. OF COURSE the iPhone is more than simply hardware.  I never said it wasn't. 2. Cars are connected to Apple's business because computers are part of cars now.  OK,  so what?  Computers are part of practically anything you use on a daily basis that is more complicated than a fork or a glass.  Airplanes.  Ships.  Those devices that tell you exact yardage on a golf course (illegal btw, but that doesn't seem to stop people).  Refrigerators.  Etc. Should Apple now get into...
 1. Do you actually drive?  Driverless cars will (do) exist.  That has NOTHING to do with whether or not (in this case, not) they will be allowed on public roads.  My point about F1 was that just because something can be created, and just because something can be bought, has nothing to do with whether or not you can drive it on a public road. 2. Factories have been mechanized for decades.  Some things, however, robots are not well-suited to.  And you do realize that your...
 There are lots of reasons.  But here are a few: -- Increasing anti-voter laws.-- The fact that, against all sense, we have elections during the week.  Why we don't have elections from Friday through Sunday, I have no idea.-- Most Americans don't feel as if they have any real influence.
 While NAFTA surely contributes to all this stuff, it is definitely true that Americans don't want to be sitting there in a factory all day assembling iPhones which, btw, is a really sucky job no matter what you're paid for it. An analogous situation is what happened in Alabama when they passed some draconian laws concerning undocumented workers.  Those workers left Alabama, and went to other states.  This left the farmers in Alabama with no one to pick fruit and do other...
 LOL :) Yeah, and like history, they don't teach anything about the rest of the world in most schools anymore.  And so many Americans lack any curiosity about anything at all outside of sports and the Kardashians.  It's really pretty scary, if you think about it, this near total lack of interest in anything. I mean, imagine someone who can't recognize Russia on a world map, cannot recognize the WORLD'S LARGEST COUNTRY!  I mean, the thing's only 6.5M sq. miles and 9 times...

There was a poll not many years ago, and a huge percentage (can't remember what it was, but it was really large) couldn't find Russia -- RUSSIA! -- on a world map.  Americans' lack of knowledge about the rest of the world -- heck lack of knowledge about America itself -- cannot be overestimated. Heck, when Sarah Palin was being prepped for the debates in 2008 they had to explain to her where Germany was, that they were part of the Axis in WWII, etc.  Really scary. This is...