or Connect

Posts by AsianBob

But in this case, it wasn't "other software" that caused the tourists to get lost, was it? It was Apple Maps. And the police addressed it strictly as such.
  So the police issuing a warning the public that Apple Maps was the cause of multiple instances of tourists getting dangerously lost is "not thinking straight"?   They're trying to avoid putting any more human lives at risk.  And also saving the valueable resources needed to make the rescues by nipping the situation in the bud (of course, if they have to rescue them, they have to rescue them). Seems like they're thinking pretty straight to me.
  So you're saying that the only reason the Australian police singled out Apple Maps is not because it was the cause of a recent string of tourists getting put in a life-threatening situation, but rather that they were only looking for a reason to bad-mouth Apple Maps?
  So you're saying there's a "Mildura" in Murray-Sunset National Park?   The Tumblr site I posted earlier has more examples of various cities that Apple Maps has misplaced. Not all of them have a similarly named entity anywhere near them. All I'm questioning is where this mapping data is coming from. Is Apple not using the same base source Nokia and Google are using? Since there are already accurate maps, where was the cross-check?   For individual things like stores and...
  I'm sure others have gotten lost using other mapping solutions. I just know that in these cases, the reason the tourists got lost was because they followed Apple Maps. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure one of the first questions the police asked them was what they were using to navigate with that got them into the situation.   Again, all I see is the police just reporting the facts as it is. Apple Maps was the common denominator in what I would assume is a higher...
  Are you familiar with the Tumblr site that was made after Apple Maps came out? It's pretty much an endless collection of user-submitted screenshots of all kinds of mistakes in Apple Maps. If that isn't "evidence", I don't know what is.   http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com   Do other mapping software have mistakes? Yes. Nothing's perfect. But some of the mistakes Apple Maps has (much like this article's example of misplacing whole cities) I just don't understand how it...
  Are they actually implying that others are safe to use? Or is that something you came up with to excuse Apple Maps? Because nowhere in the police statement do I see the police endorse any other mapping system or your claim even remotely being implied.   All I see is that they investigated and found out that Apple Maps was the root cause of these few incidences due to incorrect mapping data. And all they are doing is telling everyone to not use Apple Maps until Apple has...
  All your ranting aside, there is plenty of proof that on an overall level, Apple Maps is worse off than other mapping software. I looked up Mildura in Google Maps and what do you know, it placed it right where it's supposed to be. So for this particular case, Apple Maps is without a doubt worse off than Google Maps.
Quote:   Wait wait wait. So your excuse for this is "Well people have gotten lost using our competitors' products. So there's no need to address issues with our products that could lead to disasterous results."   Wow... Just wow.   I'd love for you to be on Apple's lawyer team if something truly does go wrong and Apple is sued for it and for you to say that to the court.
For example, Google Wallet.The hardware to support the functionality is on the GNex. But for whatever BS reason, Verizon had the software held off. Now you can go online to sites like XDA and get the file to install GW.So with a little internet searching, you can turn your GNex into a debit card.I've been installing and using all the legacy apps with no issues. Sure they might not have been updated to take advantage of the new APIs of ICS, but the apps don't become useless...