or Connect

Posts by Carson O'Genic

Doesn't happen that way over here, unless it is something on par with Watergate. We're stuck with Bush for two more years, but if you listen you can hear the quacking....
Well we're in recount land once again, but it is looking good for the Dems. Yeah! I got this from the Daily Kos: MT-Sen, VA-Sen: Allen and Burns don't believe in recounts by kos Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 09:11:27 AM PST Both Allen and Burns will have the right to call for a recount, it seems. Yet given their prior public comments on recounts, we should expect them to pass. Burns press release, 11/28/2000: On November 28, 2000, when the Florida election results were...
6 years too late.
Microsoft Corp. announced plans Monday to create a digital living room by turning its Xbox video game console into a full-fledged multimedia device so that users can download high-definition movies and television shows. http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...11/07/XBOX.TMP
Yup, too many people is the major problem behind all the other environmental problems. Sure much can be done to improve things, but it gets harder and harder the more people are on this Earth. Now if we could just convince the Pope to start handing out condoms.
My point about abortion is that it is not a procedure that is forced on people who don't want to have it done. You made some argument about the federal government forcing it on states, but my point is more at the individual level. If your pregnant and don't want the child, then no one forces you to have an abortion instead of adoption.
The difference between government and industry is the time scale and the willingness to take risk. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that most of all the advances in medical science over the last 50 years has been supported in large part by our government. Seems like a good investment to me. Life expectancy and quality of life is increasing (now if we could jsut stop eating so much...). I think most people would think that the money was well spent on the public...
My guess is that they will not try to impeach, but yes to many hearings. Lots of pressure on the administration to get rid of Rumsfeld and hearings into Iraq war contracts will likley be on the menu. Bottom line is that there are no easy solutions to Iraq, so there will be much talk and lots of finger pointing. They'll hold the administrations feet to the fire to 'have a plan to get out'. Since i don't see Bush pulling out of Iraq during the rest of his Presidency, the...
Not to be too glib here, but because that is the way it is. Biotech and big pharma spend lots of money on what one may call basic research (mostly all done in-house, which means that it may not get fully published and shared) , but they spend even more on developing that research into a product and then testing that product (Clinical trials - big bucks - sometimes supported by the fed government, in fact). Then there is that insane marketing budget to get doctors to...
2. Sure there is, but see my response to Chris. The federal government is the major source of funding for basic research. As a simple example: a standard NIH grant may give you 250k/year for 4 years, but most private foundations offer grants for 30-50k for one or two years. A lot more things get done when you have the needed resources. In California, the prop 71 money is a whole new ball game. It is unusaul for the state to fund research at this level. States often...