or Connect

Posts by Carson O'Genic

Not very tangential at all Frank777. I don't use Filemaker, just its little brother that is part of Appleworks, so I haven't been following the news that much on this app. I think i remember reading things about what a major upgrade it was going to be. I think that was around the end of last summer. I actually thought they had released it, to be honest. Your idea is an intersting one. As I mentioned, a limited database app is in AppleWorks and maybe they are going...
Yup, I agree that GB is one of those special Apple apps. Just to hear all the people on the web talking about dusting off their old instruments, its great. apple has managed to get people to become creative once again. Yesterday my 6-year old daughter decided to teach my wife how to use GB. That in itself is a testament to how well the software is designed. Off course, next thing you know my wife is sitting in front of the computer for 45 minutes with my daughter is...
Reasons why Apple is working on an Office suite: 1) AppleWorks has seen no major revisions in forever, and its not like Apple is giving up on the software front. 2) Keynote shows that they can and will take on parts of MS Office. It also shows what a better job they can do than MS. Keynote has been discounted recently and I expect a Keynote update bundled with the new Office suite some time this year. 3) Same goes for Safari vs. Explorer. 4) They need...
I want to drop the PDF file I made in anyone of my other Mac programs right into the word processor and have it looks as good as in keynote. I was shocked when I got Office X and PDF files look like thye've gone through the dishwasher. Apple has done such a great job with their recent apps. If they can do to word processing what they did with keynote then I'm sold. Hell, I'm sold if they just show me the a white box for packaging. I still like the general suit of...
My current favorites for fun are StudioArtist and GarageBand. For work, I have to say Endnote is one program that defines how computers are supposed to help you get your work done. I can't imagine adding references in by hand. Offcourse, a word processor is required with Endnote and I have to agree Word 5 was the last big step forward its been 2 baby-stpes forward and one bug step backwords with each subsequent release (I never did Word 6-too many steps back).
OK this just in on Microshaft and open XML standards: http://news.com.com/2100-1013_3-5146...l?tag=nefd_top Some quotes of interest: "Microsoft has applied for patents that could prevent competing applications from reading documents created with the latest version of the software giant's Office program. ... The proposed patents apparently seek to protect methods other applications could use to interpret the XML dialect, or schema, Office uses to describe and...
Yes, my 15" 1.25GHz PowerBook has had this problem ever since I got it. Tends to be located in the lower right corner. It is only recently that I noticed that it correlates with being cold. It goes away rather quickly and has not bothered me that much. Hence, its taken me a while to even get to the point of calling it a reproducable "problem". I also have the white spots (they took about a month after pruchase to show up). So when I can part with it the beast, it...
I can hardly remember the fan ever coming on. Mine runs warm when I'm using it all day, but the that doesn't bother me. I get the feeling that with the last Panther update that the improved battery useage may be related to a tad less cooling..Pure speculation on my part. I do have a problem with my trackpad going too senstive and my cursor jumping all about when the Powerbook is hot. I use a BT mouse, so I disabled the trackpad and the problem is solved. However, if...
Shhh! Keep it down folks. Have you no respect? My less than 6 month old PowerBook is sitting right here and can hear everything your saying. Its looking very depressed right about now. Pity on the meek.
Maybe the people getting this info were special, but my general sense of Apple employees at MacWorld is that that they barely know anything about the products just announced. Forget any foreknowledge of future products. They have also been conditioned to respond to anything that sounds like rumors with "We don't comment on rumors (even if we did know anything)." Then again, a little comment like new products and updates will be shipped in the future can always be made.