or Connect

Posts by Phong

I started a thread about this here over a year ago.   http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/135228/iphone-nano-wristwatch   The discussion back then mostly centered on what features Apple would be willing to cut, but now that time is moving on that's becoming irrelevant.
So, the iPod nano is already our new wristwatch and its been out well over a year. How far are we away from miniaturizing the iPhone so that it can be worn as a watch, allowing for cuts in certain features? What would make it worth buying and what would we cut? Well let's see, I imagine it would... Include: Wifi 3G FaceTime At least one FaceTime camera Siri Email SMS Clocks (obviously) Exclude: GPS Navigation Gaming FM radio Considerable disk space VIdeo...
Seriously? I don't think it's out of the question to think that in 10 years Apple will be in the business of making cars. Yes, cars. At the very least, I expect them to be making operating systems for cars, specifically self-driving AIs. I know it sounds crazy, but already navigation is very simple and convenient, whereas once it wasn't. Can you believe there was a time when people actually stopped to ask for directions? I mean, asking a flesh and blood human being,...
Vintage Zen agrees to kill off the iPod Touch http://vintagezen.com/2011/08/31/app...he-ipod-touch/ And Daring Fireball concurs http://daringfireball.net/linked/2011/08/31/vintagezen ...but he thinks cell carriers would be hesitant to offer data only plans because it will lead to the end of their core business, which is selling voice. Eh, I think the cell carriers are learning that voice is not the future. It's data. It's all they advertise now. Fast 4G networks yadda...
I game regularly with my iPad 2 on my 52" HDTV via HDMI and I love it. The only thing lacking is developer support. Have you played Pinball HD over HDMI? Wow. 1080p 60fps, smooth and beautiful. The iPad 2 is capable of a lot and all it takes it for people to take advantage. The accelerometer controls the camera movements and makes playing pinball seem like a roller coaster. Also great is Ball Towers HD. WIthout having to look directly at the iPad, you can be really...
No, the beta is jailbroken.
I've decided I want this, but there's no way to jailbreak the latest iOS version yet. By the time they get to it, iOS 5 will be out... this sucks.
Moore's law is more an economic law than physical or computational. It's about computational power at a given price. It may be that typical consumer-level computers are not getting better as quickly, but we're not spending as much on computers as we used to. That computing power is also being distributed, not just on multiple cores but on GPUs. Anyway, integrated circuits aren't going to be the preferred method of computing forever. Once we reach their limit, we'll find...
Wait, this is really something we can expect to see in the future? Graphics card upgrades via Thunderbolt? How long until something like this is real? I'd forget all about the Mac Pro.
No, and the reason is because the iPad 2 is really good. This was the iPad everyone was waiting for. The original iPad was "wait and see" but this one definitely is not. You can tell just by picking it up. It has a standard, settled feel to it, refined, carefully crafted after much study. It tells you that its a product that's here to stay for a while and you're going to want one. Consider the iPhone 4. It's 14 months old and they're selling MORE iPhones now at this...