or Connect

Posts by VanDeWaals

Do you usually leave the iMac on (and logged in) overnight? One part of OS X's UNIX underpinnings is a utility called cron that runs late at night (at 3:15 in the morning or thereabouts). When it runs, it performs various maintenance tasks (rotates log files and such). There are tasks that it performs daily, weekly, or monthly. I usually just leave my PowerBook plugged in and my account logged in at night (I have the display set to sleep, but not the computer...
Go into System Preferences->Network Select the location you are using at home, and go to the settings for AirPort Click on the AirPort tab and change the drop down list from "By default, join : Automatic" to "By default, join : A specific network" Enter the name of your wireless network and the password (note: this is the actual password you entered in the AirPort Admin Utility, not the huge key you had to enter into the Win XP computer's own settings; the Mac will be...
Is your network open? If someone else is on it and has iTunes they can see your stereo. Try password protecting it, or even better lock your WLAN down so Joe Schmoe can't use it. 1) Turn off the SSID broadcast (create a "closed network") 2) Use MAC address filtering so only your AirPort card can access the base station 3) USE ENCRYPTION....WPA if you can, else 128 bit WEP at the least Of course this could be something entirely else wrong, but if it IS because...
Are you using WEP or WPA? If you are using WEP, go to AirPort Admin and open your basestations configuration. At the top of the window is a padlock icon labeled "equivilent password" this gives the hexidecimal representation of the password you originally input. This (very long) string is what you need to enter into the Windows networking prefs for it to work. If you are using WPA, then the password should be the same as you entered it. Make sure you have the Win...
I discovered this as well. I was considering using my AirPort Express as a main base station and maybe getting another to use as a bridge (to share my connection with my roommates). When I was messing with the settings and tried setting it to use WDS it informed me that I had to use WEP and not WPA (I'm using v 4.0.1 of the AirPort software). Does anyone know WHY that is? I'd much rather use WPA simply from a security perspective.
So I dl'd and installed it earlier today. Activating Active or Background scanning seems to use about 10% system resources on my PowerBook. Does that sound normal? Otherwise, the newer features are nice. It installs a separate app in the Utilities folder called Virex Schedule Editor that allows you to set times to scan things and to check for updates. There is also a list you can edit in preferences that can exclude certain files and directories, but it may be a...
I think you can only be part of one AirPort network at a given time. I have an AirPort Express (just got it last weekend, woo hoo) and I am connected to both it and my wired router. I can stream music and print wirelessly while plugged into my router. I have 2 IP addresses, a 192.168.0.x for the wired router and a 10.0.1.x for the AirPort network. The base station is actually plugged into one of the ports on my router. In my Network prefs, in my Home setting, I have...
AirPort is simply the marketing name that Apple gave to its 802.11b hardware, just as AirPort Extreme is what they call their 802.11g implementation. Basically if equipment has the "WiFi" seal on the box, then it is supposed to interoperate with no problem. You may have recently seen in stores certain types of wireless G routers that claim "double the speed" through "special speed boosting technology" or some such. Occasionally, this has meant that a wireless card...
It does mean High Definition....the HD designation indicates (I THINK...someone correct me if I am wrong) that the display exceeds a certain resolution. If you wanted to watch TV on the monitor, you would have to get some sort of TV tuner card to install in the computer (probably in a PCI slot) that can accept an HDTV input. I imagine they must exist, but I do not know who makes them off the top of my head.