or Connect

Posts by VanDeWaals

That does suck. In answer to the FileVault question, I actually decided to start using it a month ago. I know its initial implementation was buggy, so I waited a while. But so far it works fine. I can't even tell the difference in performance (from the on-the-fly encrypt/decrypt). I think it's a good feature. In addition, I have the following enabled: NO autologin. EVER. Whenever I carry it anywhere, I log out and sleep it. Enable the Open Firmware...
This is why I can't live without my little AC unit in the window. I'm a big guy and I inherited my dad's propensity to sweat like an SOB at the slightest bump in temperature. It sucks. My entire summer usually consists of seeking out somewhere with AC. Bleh.
In the Mail menu bar, go to Window -> Previous Recipients. A window should pop up with the addresses of everyone you've sent mail to. If a little vCard symbol is next to a name/address, then it's someone in your Address Book. I think you can safely wipe the whole list, since it will still auto-complete anyone in your Address Book. The list is handy in that it shows when you last sent mail to the given address, but if it bothers you THAT much...
I recently jumped ship from EarthLink to Verizon DSL. I never really had problems with EarthLink, but for the same price I was paying for EarthLink DSL + my phone line I was able to get Verizon's Freedom Package (unlimited local, reginal, and long distance, including Canada) and twice the download speed on my DSL. The problem is, EarthLink has to rent lines from whoever the local phone company is, and oftentimes you get less download for the same or more money. It kinda...
I agree with Aquatic. I run OS X's built in firewall "as is" and for my AV needs I use Virex 7.2.1 (courtesy of my .Mac membership). If you want to tweak the firewall use Brickhouse (a GUI front-end for ipfw, which is what OS X uses as it's built in fw) Norton's has much anecdotal evidence of being problematic on OS X. At the end of the day, you can take all sorts of precautions, but if you install some shady piece of software that you download from an obscure...
I sprung for Unison and I am very pleased with it. I tend to find that it is the rare piece of freeware that works well and is well designed (from a UI perspective). I bought Panic's FTP application (Transmit) as well for the same reason. Support those Mac developers that make GOOD software!
Just a quick query: I recently decided to try out FileVault on my PowerBook (after backing up of course ). So I did and it seems to work perfectly fine. But now I have this new folder named "Temporary Items" in my home directory I deleted it and it came back at some point. Is this supposed to happen? And why? If I'm supposed to just leave it alone I will, but I like to know what's going on Oh...and another question while on the subject of FileVault. Does...
Which actually turned out to be a hoax Don't feel bad, I bought it too.
Any ftp client will let you upload to your webspace. If you meant what is a good free app to create web pages with, I find that Composer (comes as part of Mozilla) is great for making fairly basic web pages. It's pretty much like using a word processor.
If the FW drive is the same size as your internal drive, you could just clone your installation onto the FW drive using Carbon Copy Cloner. CCC lets you synchronize the two disks, and even schedule the backups. And it preserves all the permissions. Basically, I can boot off my drive and not even realize its the FW and not the internal. CCC is indispensable for a Mac OS X user. Additional Edit: If the FW drive is BIGGER, you can do like I did and partition the FW...