or Connect

Posts by jmgregory1

My point was that with Fusion Drives, you get the benefit of both the lower cost of mass storage and the speed of SSD for oft-used applications and processes.  With Apple pushing so many devices to solid state storage, it just seems silly to offer one of their higher end products with a spinning disk-only storage device, when Fusion adds so little cost ($200).  Even for people using an iMac for home use, sticking with a HDD at the point we're at now, makes very little sense. 
Why anyone would buy an iMac with a traditional spinning HDD is beyond me. Or maybe I should be asking why Apple is still producing a traditional HDD equipped model, when the least they should be offering is the Fusion Drive equipped versions. We've been using a FD equipped iMac in my work since early '13 and it's been a fantastic compromise of space and speed. Sure, having 1tb of SSD space would be the best, but the price per gb is so much higher.
Wow, I guess I must have touched on a nerve, huh?  My opinion was not related to something personal, but rather using my personal thoughts to further the position that the article was discussing - whether the Swiss watch manufacturers were going to be negatively effected by the Apple Watch.  I provided reasons why people much like myself will keep buying mechanical / automatic timepieces, which is entirely separate from any discussion on whether I would buy an Apple Watch...
My automatic watch hasn't gone out of true in more than a decade of everyday use, including some significant hard physical abuse. It's remained water resistant through lake and ocean swimming and diving, whitewater rafting and other severe duty things like chopping wood, working on the car, and other construction projects. And as far as technology goes, the Apple Watch, may be pushing the envelope for digital tech, but I'll take a mechanical watch and its ability to keep...
It's just another thing you have to plug in each night and whether it costs pennies a year or not, it's an extra cost. People who buy mechanical watches of course don't do so to save the cost of electricity. That wasn't my point.
That's the thing with fine watches, be they pocket or wrist, the market is small (compared to the mass market Apple goes after), but that doesn't mean the market is going to go away just because Apple offers a Watch that does more than a mechanical watch. I'd counter Apple's Watch with the fact that you don't need to charge a mechanical watch every night using electricity you have to pay for, making the mechanical watch the more technologically advanced time piece. And...
People will continue to buy high and mid-level Swiss automatic timepieces because they are  singularly focused.  I'll also suggest that cheaper electronic / mechanical watches will also continue to sell, regardless of what Apple does, because people want choices for what they wear (when a watch is looked at like a piece of jewelry).   As a mechanical timepiece made to exacting standards in small volumes the Swiss watch market brings man (and woman) back to a time when...
Great - the one version I don't want. If only they made the offer for the 42mm Stainless with black sport band, I'd be all over it. But I'll just wait a few months to see how the first group of owners likes them, before buying one (or two, so the wife can have one) in-store.
As we all know, it was the Android fan who started the fight and the Apple fan was simply defending himself. Android fans seem to have a violent hatred towards Apple and I'm just not sure why. It can't be old fashioned American patriotism since most Android phones are from Chinese companies, which makes this even more curious. One would think, in America at least, that there would be greater support for the home team, but that just isn't the case. The hatred has been...
I'm not sure why it's hard to imagine a scenario where when you buy an Apple Watch, you first select the watch version you want (sport / color, stainless / color, edition / color), then the second step is to select the band or bands you want, with suggestions from Apple on which they feel work best with your watch selection or what is trending, if you're unsure which to choose.   And if you had to bring your watch in for service, it's not like it would be a problem to just...