or Connect

Posts by jmgregory1

Apple has done a lot of things that other companies haven't done and just because no other watch company is selling the watch separate from the band doesn't mean it's not a smart way of doing things.  And there is no reason to suggest they simply offer the cheapest sport band as the stock config, as there will be plenty of people who want / expect to have either leather or link bands.  I would think that offering the bands separately, Apple might even get more add-on...
As a product manufacturer, especially when the product you're making does not have a competitive or existing track record, launch quantities and product mix are effectively set by someone (or multiple people) guessing at the numbers.  Even Apple works this way.  Sure, there might be some computer models used to help refine numbers, but at the end of the day, they're still simply weighing their guess against production capacity.  When they have a hit product, like they did...
I'm definitely going to pick one of these up - the 1.2gHz, 500gb version, for business travel.  As much as I really love my '13 15" rMBP (2.7 / 16 / 500 model), it's more power than I need while on the road, not to mention the extra weight it adds to my bag.  The screen size will be the only negative, but I'll gladly make that trade for the weight and battery savings.
Clearly, I recognize that there is a difference between a classic mechanical watch and a smart watch, but as many have pointed out over the past 6 months, lots of people buy, collect and wear mechanical watches because of the art and science of classic timepieces. I'm intrigued by the Watch, because of the tech of it and the fact that I've been an Apple follower and user of their products for more than 25 years, and may possibly get one myself, but it would likely be a...
Of course that is the likely scenario.  Their watches do what clearly a decent number of people want them to do (and nothing more), which is why they'll keep going even with the Apple Watch on the market.  I'm still not sold on the Watch as something I'd want / use and I'm guessing I'm not alone in my questions about whether there is enough function to give up wearing my Seiko Automatic.   In fact, the thing I'm really wanting is to get my late grandfathers 1932 Elgin...
Of course I know that Apple is constantly working to manage supply vs demand.  I'm just saying that there seems to be more issues of their not keeping up with short-term demand, which should be triggering some action points on their part, in an effort to get on top of high launch quantities.  I'm guessing that those people who are seeing July ship dates will likely see shortened timeframes as Apple opens the tap,  much like what happened with the iP6 and 6+.
Instead of opening more factories to ensure launch product availability, Apple could delay launch dates until more product is on-hand.  It's a challenge for sure - It's always better to have less quantity than demand (to a point), compared to too much product and not enough demand.
As much as Apple eclipses most other companies in regards to managing supply chain, they do seem to have hiccups with new product launches.  It's understandable when the forecast is blown away by demand, but much like the iPhone 6 and 6+, the Watch not having enough quantity to even keep up with the first few days of pre-orders, tells me Apple is either having issues with yield or they forecast really low given the flops that most other smartwatches have experienced.
Ahrendt's is crazy if she thinks that Apple customers don't understand that they can order online and have the order delivered. People want the in-store experience including waiting in line, so they can get some of the first units on the market. Suggesting that it's almost an unknown abut using the Store app or online store suggests to me that she doesn't understand the Apple customer very well. What they might want to do is fully embrace the experience and challenges of...
Wow, those people on the xda forum seem to be giving Samsung a pass on the scratched screen issues.  They must not be the same people who jump to bash Apple at any sign of a "problem" /.  I'm guessing that these issues will produce a very short-lived negative buzz for Samsung, but as they say, any press is better than no press, so they'll use it to their advantage and say something like, "We are happy to replace any units that customers feel don't meet their expectations...