or Connect

Posts by jmgregory1

A co-worker of mine is a huge guy, standing 6' 4" and weighing 300+ lbs. He has been using an iP4s, but always complains that his fingers are too big to type on the phone. He ends up using his iPad because it almost looks iPhone sized in his hands. I can see people like him wanting a giant screened phone like this, but beyond that, I'm not sure what demographic they are going after.
MS has to keep trying new things, but I would think they would focus on getting what they have already "right" before looking to offer a new form factor with even more compromises.  Otherwise they're likely to bring a new "reader" to market that requires a keyboard and mouse and can run legacy windows programs and drive any of the 400 million usb devices on the market - you know, the way the Surface works today...   The whole idea of using non-touch based software on...
I think it is about time that we change from using a number dial pad on all phones to one that has more flash - plain numbers laid out in a static 3x4 format is so yesterday.  We need active widgets to represent each number, each with the ability to show current weather or the faces of people we know, maybe facebook status or twitter feeds.  REALLY?  Is that really where people want things to go?  I think people must have a lot of time on their hands that they need their...
In Canada, from my own experience with friends and colleagues, the RIM devotee percentage is fairly high, so it wouldn't be surprising if some people who had to switch from an older BB to either iPhone or Android, would switch back.  It will be interesting to see what their return numbers look like.  RIM/BB has made just so many mistakes over the past 3-4 years, that they have a lot of fence mending to do just to get back those that left the fold over the years.  And...
If you're talking highly complex spreadsheets, it's true that Office is the better program suite, but for the vast majority needing basic word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software, iWork is functionally easier to use and less of a system hog than Office. The fact that you can use iWork seamlessly with Office using colleagues, making it system agnostic, for me makes it the better option.
You're kidding, right?  So iOS and the iPad isn't a real or complete product?  What you mean to say is that Win 8 and MS Surface Pro is a laptop, not unlike any other Windows laptops.  It can run all the same outdated legacy programs that enterprise solutions are behind the times on - that's fantastic.  But it's not a tablet.  It's own tablet interface is anything but professional and even the idea of touch in Win 8 mostly revolves around picture manipulation or swiping...
As much as I totally agree with the thinking they need to re-think and re-write Windows and stop trying to make every version backwards compatible - the reality is that their profit center comes from this backwards compatibility with legacy enterprise solutions.  And they can't get everyone to change because the entire model for enterprise is built around screwing everyone - and there are a LOT of people baked into the system.     All those stake holders make it...
Anytime I see things written that say Apple is doing anything to compete with xyz company, I know it's complete rubbish.  Does anyone really think that people within Apple are doing anything to "compete" with anyone but themselves?  If that is how Apple was operating, I'd say sell your stock right now, because that is a recipe for disaster.   Apple plans their work and works their plan - they're not trying to do what anyone else is doing, unless that means...
I'm with Tim on the belief that devices like the iPhone and iPad are more likely to drive additional growth in laptops and iMacs than cannibalize sales. Once you realize the benefits of a connected Apple system, going from iPad to iMac to Apple TV to MacBook is seamless and the natural thing to do. It rarely is about reducing the number of devices because each device has a specific differentiated use.
The SP may be new and certainly (minus keyboard) a departure from the convertible laptops of the past decade+, but MS's idea for a tablet OS that runs legacy desktop programs is the same old thinking they've been pushing.  If they really want to move beyond just a small form factor laptop with detachable, but mostly required, keyboard, MS needs to figure out how to get touch integration (be it stylus or finger) into legacy apps along with scaling that works or a less...