or Connect

Posts by jmgregory1

My wife, who really isn't interested in tech, said to me after watching the latest MS Surface commercial, "who exactly does MS think their customer is?"  They, or maybe it's the MS supporters in the press (and on this site) think of SP as a "professional" system, but it really seems to me that MS themselves are conflicted with their marketing message.   If they're simply pandering to be more "cool" like Apple, it isn't working on the likes of my wife.
Think of all the fun it will be to break a move while running a funkalicious excel spreadsheet or groovy powerpoint for your hindsight meeting tomorrow!
I was talking about the difference between a tablet and a laptop and what you and so many other supporters of the SP (and similar W8 convertibles) are really talking about is a smaller form factor laptop.  As far as the Wacom digitizer goes - let me know how great it is running any of your Adobe design suites using the SP, which I have to guess that even in situations you describe, will be anything but easy.   Good luck and enjoy - and don't let the door hit you in the...
I get the sense that MS supporters are desperate in their desire to make the SP seem like it is great and the next logical step in mobile computing. The purported positive and differentiator of running legacy windows software rarely seems to be offset by the fact that they're then trying to work on an overly high res screen that requires scaling to make text and even cursor use possible, which of course also requires the use of a mouse. And the fact that their new...
MS is simply rehashing a tired old unsuccessful formula with the SP. Sure, it's smaller and lighter than their previous attempts at convertible laptops, but that's about it. They still think you can just use a touch screen device running software that was not designed for touch input. Oh, wait you say? It's not a laptop it's a tablet? Then why is the only real selling point the "fact" that you can run legacy desktop applications on it? Which of course demand the use of...
One would think RIM would be providing ringers to the press - just to make sure this type of thing doesn't happen.  It will be interesting to see what percentage of failure per handset they end up having.
Why does anyone need to touch the screen on a laptop?  Or desktop?  In their present form where your hands operate on a plane almost 90 degrees different than the screen, how is touching the screen even something considered to be normal or desired?  I would argue that the thing Apple will go after on laptops and desktops (iMac and Mac Pro) will be an even bigger trackpad.  Maybe even a virtual keyboard / trackpad combination.  That would make sense, allowing your hands to...
I've emailed Ed asking him how he got to 92gb of usable space on the Air.  He asks in the article title, who's being honest - and frankly he's being dishonest or disingenuous at best, with this comparison.  The honest answer is that Windows is a hog of an OS and there is no sense making comparisons and trying to suggest otherwise.   The question supporters of MS should be making is "Why doesn't MS figure out how to trim down the OS for mobile hardware?"  Of course I...
I hope they meant this article to be symbolic of BB's loss, cause losing 250 BB carrying officials doesn't even seem newsworthy to me.
I'm really surprised all the focus is still on producing higher res screens and so little is being focused on reducing screen glare.  Apple did a pretty good job with the iMac, but the iPad (4 for me) is just too reflective under too many situations.  They've (Corning) figured out how to make the glass thin, strong, scratch resistant and (relatively speaking) light - why no focus on glare resistance or reduction?