or Connect

Posts by jmgregory1

The old versions certainly cost less to make - both component costs will be pressured down and the actual production cost will be reduced as well, both as efficiencies in the process are made and as Apple pressures Foxconn (and others) to reduce the assembly price per unit because they've gone beyond their initially projected unit volumes.   For Apple, it's always going to be a win-win to sell the old models.  As they reduce the selling price to the telco's, it's not just...
I think the term shipped in Apple's case was just sloppy writing - as they don't report "shipped" but rather sold units, if I remember correctly.  It's either shipped as in shipped units that Verizon bought or sold units that Verizon purchased.  Apple does not play around with the shipped vs sold crap because that would be pointless.  Their issues usually revolve around being able to produce enough of any given product in order to fulfill demand - a good problem to have,...
I've ordered and canceled twice now, the first time ordering a top of the line 21" (then deciding I could make my own Fusion drive cheaper), then I ordered a base model just before Apple added the ability to include Fusion on the base version.  So I canceled that order too.  I'll pull the trigger on the base with Fusion shortly, hoping they'll actually get it produced and delivered in the 3 week timeframe they're now showing.   Just the fact that Apple stores have,...
Once you try ssd speed, you'll never want to go back. What you are planning makes sense, I would just factor in getting an external TB or usb3 enclosure and ssd to create your own Fusion drive. Fusion is really a great interim step from hdd to ssd, giving you the best of both speed and storage capacity at a relatively low buy-in price.
My iP5 running 6.1 (10B5126b) will eventually stop scrolling when doing this angled swiping, but that's not exactly what I would consider a problem, given I'm NEVER fast swiping back and forth at an angle in the first place. Is this really a problem? I suppose there might be some ridiculously stupid game that requires you to continuously swipe at an angle fast for an extended time, but come on. I see this "problem" as very similar to the problems you see when you strike...
Yep - that was one specific company I had in mind.  RIM was the other, but enough Streeters finally realized they couldn't keep propping them up.
I can guarantee you that Apple, whether back in the day when Steve was running the company, or today with Tim Cook at the helm, they are not doing or saying things to try to manipulate stock prices.  They are executing their plans and running the business.  The stock market is manipulated enough by the Street, and it's been clear for the past 5+ years that Apple is undervalued and for some reason, not treated with the same respect that some other questionable businesses.
The MS supporters I've talked to are ALL holding out hope for the PRO, but they also hedge their bets with comments like "Samsung's Pro Tablet versions are already out and are fantastic".  From what I've gathered, the Surface and really all Windows based tablets are nothing more than a small screen laptop meant to be used in landscape mode using a keyboard and mouse - and that's a positive that you can connect any of the 400 million usb devices to it.  Great...
Apple had the lead in the PC market when there wasn't really a PC market.  They were first to the gate before the racetrack was even built.  Do you remember when only a few select independent retailers sold computers?  And when mass retailers first started?  Apple was part of it for sure - but their decision not to license their software in the same way MS did ended up killing their hopes of being part of the PC revolution.
Apple is in the business to make money.  They will NOT go after a low price point market until, and maybe not ever, they hit a certain saturation point with their current selling products.  The world is a big market and Apple has lots of upside yet to capture.   This is the kind of argument you hear about lots of premium brands and companies.  If only Rolex would offer a cheaper version, they could sell lots more watches. If only Mercedes would make a cheaper car,...