or Connect

Posts by jmgregory1

Hmm, OSX 10.10 - isn't that OSXXX?
I've heard several people talk about the Surface Pro being great for doing photoshop work, but as noted above, I just cannot see photo professionals going gaga over doing serious (professional) work on a 10" screen.  Not that I think a professional would any more use an iPad for doing said work.  These types of comments of the Surface Pro being great because...sound like red herrings to me.  Same goes for running legacy programs, designed and built to be run on a desktop...
I'm sticking with the notion that it is a half-baked concept that is really just a small screened ultra book or netbook that can sort of work like a tablet (in landscape only mode, that is).  And I'm sorry, but using between 1/3 to 2/3's of the available marketed memory for the OS is not normal.  It's just wasteful to try to address the "needs" of a population of users and software companies that are unwilling to move forward and program around a new OS.  
Hmmm, great idea.  You've just suggested making a small laptop!  My guess is that the next step will be to include a battery in the keyboard cover, just to give the Surface Pro usability beyond a couple of hours.  Then they'll have a 4+ lb netbook sized laptop, which of course will just destroy any hope Apple has of selling MacBook Air 11" models...
The old versions certainly cost less to make - both component costs will be pressured down and the actual production cost will be reduced as well, both as efficiencies in the process are made and as Apple pressures Foxconn (and others) to reduce the assembly price per unit because they've gone beyond their initially projected unit volumes.   For Apple, it's always going to be a win-win to sell the old models.  As they reduce the selling price to the telco's, it's not just...
I think the term shipped in Apple's case was just sloppy writing - as they don't report "shipped" but rather sold units, if I remember correctly.  It's either shipped as in shipped units that Verizon bought or sold units that Verizon purchased.  Apple does not play around with the shipped vs sold crap because that would be pointless.  Their issues usually revolve around being able to produce enough of any given product in order to fulfill demand - a good problem to have,...
I've ordered and canceled twice now, the first time ordering a top of the line 21" (then deciding I could make my own Fusion drive cheaper), then I ordered a base model just before Apple added the ability to include Fusion on the base version.  So I canceled that order too.  I'll pull the trigger on the base with Fusion shortly, hoping they'll actually get it produced and delivered in the 3 week timeframe they're now showing.   Just the fact that Apple stores have,...
Once you try ssd speed, you'll never want to go back. What you are planning makes sense, I would just factor in getting an external TB or usb3 enclosure and ssd to create your own Fusion drive. Fusion is really a great interim step from hdd to ssd, giving you the best of both speed and storage capacity at a relatively low buy-in price.
My iP5 running 6.1 (10B5126b) will eventually stop scrolling when doing this angled swiping, but that's not exactly what I would consider a problem, given I'm NEVER fast swiping back and forth at an angle in the first place. Is this really a problem? I suppose there might be some ridiculously stupid game that requires you to continuously swipe at an angle fast for an extended time, but come on. I see this "problem" as very similar to the problems you see when you strike...
Yep - that was one specific company I had in mind.  RIM was the other, but enough Streeters finally realized they couldn't keep propping them up.