or Connect

Posts by siromega

Not surprised. School District IT staff tend to not be very competant at this sort of stuff - they can install and manage Deep Freeze but that seems to be the extent of their abilities. Though I do fault Apple a little here, if they're going to sell millions of units they can afford to write a doc for all school districts around the country to use to properly lock down the devices such that... 1. They're traceable if they are lost/stolen. This also removes the theft...
Yeah, I'd wonder if its not an iPhone 5S but an iPhone 5T, where the T is for TD-SCDMA for China Mobile. The problem going forward is that Apple is going to have to run multiple models of phones for the indefinite future. Until CDMA networks worldwide shut down there will be CDMA/GSM divides. And given the disparate number of frequencies used worldwide for LTE (600, 700L, 700U, 800, 1800, PCS, AWS, WCS, 2.6GHz) you cant make one phone that works on all those frequencies....
"In Japan NTT DOCOMO uses Band 1, and a long list of other European carriers are deploying Band 3 LTE. T-Mobile, Cricket and MetroPCS use Band 4 (AWS) in the U.S., so these carriers could all apparently be supported by Apple's existing models, given a carrier agreement." Cricket and MetroPCS use CDMA, and since the US CDMA mdoel doesn't have the AWS band, they're left out of the game. Also this means Verizon's recent AWS purchases wont be of use to the iPhone 5. Likewise...
Any word on bulk cable discounts? I've got at least four cables to be replaced, not counting the connector in my Elevation Dock that will need to be replaced. 
Any word on tethering? Also, this deal would save me money ($10/mo assuming I can still tether), but I'm loathe to change anything with my plans because I currently get annual phone upgrades and don't want to risk changing that.
Actually...
Am I the only one who has issues with Apple & suppliers tying up with TSMC? Their ability to deliver on time has been.... questionable. Look at the 40nm transition, and the current 28nm transition, and they don't exactly have a stellar record for upgrading their fab facilities. Samsung is set to roll out 32nm this year, and while its not as good as 28nm, reliability is more important for Apple to hit their annual release cycle. For those that don't know, it takes 12-16...
No, I'm inclined to think they're getting ready for the iPhone simply beacuse the next one is going to have a radio capable of AWS frequencies (why? Verizon holds a huge swath of AWS frequencies and can use them for LTE if their 700MHz spectrum gets crowded after launch). Anyways, the two things these analysts forget is that 1) iPhone customers don't churn as much and 2) hand-me-down iPhones are quite popular. So when I buy an iPhone 5 this year, I hand my 4S down to a...
What on earth would that solve. The solution is to auction more spectrum. Make it such that everyone gets to bid, smaller players get a bonus, but all carriers have 5 years to build out to 85% POP (95% after 8 yrs) or the government will force them to vacate the spectrum and they'll re-auction it. (and the carrier doesn't get once cent of their bid back, and no ways to reset the clock) No more of this buy-and-sit strategy AT&T has used on their AWS spectrum. Echostar...
I don't get this article. AT&T's network does suck in a lot of places, but right now at work, the Speedtest app on my iphone shows 3-4Mb/s down and 1.5Mb/s up. AT&T already has rolled out 14.4Mb/s speeds to towers, but the problem is their backhaul (the link between the tower and AT&T's network). In the few places where AT&T has upgraded the backhaul and the network links aren't too crowded, good speeds are possible. I don't think I'll double my throughput but 5-6Mb/s...