or Connect

Posts by cvaldes1831

Again, the problem is that there is no agreed-upon standard amongst merchants, payment processors, etc. unless you live in certain southeast Asian countries (Japan and South Korea are notable).   The technology isn't an issue, it's an implementation or acceptance problem. In the same way, HD DVD died because the market acceptance went to Blu-ray. Same with Beta versus VHS. GSM versus Nextel's iDEN service.   Each of the major credit card companies has their own wireless...
I have used OpenOffice (or StarOffice) on Macs for many, many years and you do not have to figure out which version of Java to use. Just load the latest version of Java and OpenOffice will run fine.   OpenOffice's finickiness with Java might have been an issue on Linux boxes circa 2002, but those days are long gone, particularly concerning Macs.   Dicking around with Java versions is a Linux thing, not a Mac thing. It's one of the reasons why the system...
Not surprising.   Apple has typically been relatively conservative in picking cellular technologies for its handsets, typically waiting for a given cellular network technology to be well deployed on a worldwide basis before implementing it in their handset. In the last iteration, the iPhone 4S stuck to well-proven HSPA+ technology rather than try to implement LTE (which would have been problematic concerning battery life issues).   For something like NFC...
  I'm pretty sure cellphone theft wasn't as prevalent in the early 80s.   Should it have been implemented ten years ago? I think so, but I'm not surprised U.S. mobile operators are slow in innovating. I would also not be surprised if mobile operators in other countries had been antitheft procedures.   US cellular companies are pathetically backwards.
Not to mention the still-broken smiley widget.  
Wiggin is correct.   Cops in any medium or larger city generally have better things to do than to track down your phone. Heck, even stolen property like fancy $2000 bicycles isn't that important in the overall scheme of things.   Auto theft? Yes, because the vehicles themselves are worth much more than phones and bicycles plus there is an enormous industry in illegally obtained parts.   Even copper theft is more important than cellphone theft. Copper thieves...
  LOL, the AppleInsider homepage would have two posts and the forum would look like a ghost town.   But heck, that's a wonderful idea. It would definitely improve the signal-to-noise ratio around here!   :-)   Actually, it's more realistic to look at AppleInsider, MacRumors, etc. as science fiction blogs here in 2012. The rumor quality has degraded so much and the amount of commentary by people who have a very tenuous grasp on reality has skyrocketed. If you look at it...
  LOL, when an AI forum moderator posts the very first comment which bashes the rumor source, you know you have a credibility problem.   Ahahahahahaha!!!!   Really, AI, it's Digitimes, throw this one in the circular file.
  Entirely true.   However, audiophiles are also a great source of used, bargain-priced quality audio equipment because while they whine, audiophiles are also buying the latest and greatest whatever-it-is and selling their perfectly good whatever-it-was because it no longer "sonically matches" their newest acquisitions.   Moreover, used audiophile equipment is usually in much better condition than regular used A/V gear from Joe Consumer since audiophiles baby their gear....
  It's 2012. AppleInsider -- like others in mass media -- worships at the temple of the Almighty Pageview.   True journalism died in the Nineties. Today it's garbage in, garbage out.   Sorry about that.   (Personally, I think there should be a special "Digitimes" tag for these sort of articles, and a special place to put them on. Not Page 2, but Page 5731. But it will be a cold day in hell before AI does anything like that. Too bad.)