or Connect

Posts by garyp

I have only visited 2 Apple Stores, Valley Fair and Emeryville, both in the San Francisco Bay Area, so this may be a skewed view. Real estate is ultra expensive here, and the stores are small. I saw in the web that the software section in Chicago is bigger than some entire Apple Stores. So my comments apply to the small stores. IMHO, the simplicity/minimalist Apple aesthetic, although I love it in their machines and softwate, isn't working in the stores I've seen. ...
Yes, I repaired permissions, started up in single user mode & ran fsck -y, booted from Disk Warrior 3 and repaired the directory. DW 3 repaired damage to "Wrapper Volume" but this had no effect on my printing issue. Maybe I should run Print Center Repair, or trash Print Center's prefs?
I have been using Mac OS X since it left beta. After the 10.2.6 update, my next print job ran into trouble: I ran out of paper, but when clicking "Show Printer" in the error dialog, the whole system went to a blue screen. Then the user interface reappeared, much more quickly than a restart, and my CPU meter was pegged. A look at the Process Viewer showed that PrintJobMgr (process ID 625) was using nearly 96% of the CPU! Each print job pegs the processor meter like...
Yes,I hadn't thought about the usual desk setup. I use counters in my computer room, around 3 walls, so the computer wouldn't need to be in the sitting space. If someone only had a desk for their whole setup, this wouldn't work. But how many people have a wacom tablet, printer, scanner, CD burner, tower & display all crammed into a little desk? I was really talking about a production setup.
How would you attach to the under-surface I wonder? Yes, cabling would be a pain in the arse, as would access to the optical drives... Yes, There is definitely a difference in use between an Xserve and a "Desktop." Dual optical drives, and/or the need to connect and disconnect peripherals are not a factor in a server environment. these would present design problems for my "drawer"-Mac, especially if you wanted to retain the Xserve's capacity to hold 4 hard drives. ...
I would vote for an Xserve-type of design. Why use the tower form factor at all? Towers take up room on the desktop, or gather too much dust on the floor. Why not mount a drawer-style computer right under the desktop to conserve desk or counter space and stay up out of the worst of the dust? Then, all we'd have to look at would be the slim front panel. The drawback of this idea is poor access to cabling and ports on the rear.
I am definitely hot for the 970, but I will wait for Rev B. It seems like there are often little boo-boos in Rev A machines. But, perhaps since Apple has had such a long wait for the processor, the hardware is completely ready. I will still wait, because I bought a Rev A B&W, and got stuck with its deficiencies.
Apple is blaming our 3rd party hardware instead of taking responsibility. These devices all worked fine before the update. This is from MacInTouch: [11:25 ET]_ George Lawrence Storm forwarded explanations for the Mac OS X 10.2.5 kernel panic, posted in Apple's USB mailing list, confirming a link with USB hubs: On one of Apple's lists is a nice little discussion and possible explanation of the USB panic issue. (It is a publicly-available list). [Apple USB Software...
kim kap sol - What is your problem, shithead?
Software Update is enabled by Apple's default. They want us to update. Updates via S/W Update should be ready for public consumption. I had no intention of starting a flame war. I was simply reporting the facts. All my statements are easily corroborated by reality. And there is no uninstaller for my monitor's fried USB system.