or Connect

Posts by SockRolid

Yup.  And Google doesn't really care.  To Google, Android is just a mobile ad platform.97% of Google's revenue comes from ads.  Everything they do reflects that one fact. But anyway, let's shoot down a few boilerplate Android Apologist excuses: 1. "You don't know what Android really is." Yes we do.  It's Google's mobile ad platform.  Oh, and Amazon has forked it into a mobile cash register.  Maybe some day Samsung will also fork Android, just so they can control their own...
 I think Tim Cook knows that he will never be able to force all component suppliers to stop all leaks.  Factory workers are not highly paid, and I'm sure the leakers get cash for the components and/or photos.  So sneaking a circuit board or backshell out of the factory for a photo session could be a way to boost income.  (And if the part is brought back before anyone notices it's missing, then nobody gets in trouble.  Maybe.) But how does this affect Apple?  Well, the...
 Oh well.  That means iPhone "6" (and iPhone "Air"?) will get more attention before the "iWatch" hogs the spotlight. Oops.  Forgot about the updated iPad Air and iPad mini.  And whatever updates Apple makes to the iPod lineup.Still plenty of announcements to be made this year before "iWatch."
 Will be interesting to see what happens in the next year.  Android phones / tablets might become the "new netbooks."Faddish, but catering to only the low end of the market where there is zero brand loyalty. The rise of the Chinese middle class is increasing the average Chinese citizen's purchasing power.And that Chinese middle class is also extremely status-conscious.They're contributing to the extinction of African elephants.  They just love ivory.And they'd probably...
 Samsung spent billions to kill off all other serious Android competitors. It worked.  They're all gone.  Not even Google's Nexus sells in any quantity.And Amazon's fork of Android serves only one purpose: to ring up sales for Amazon. You could argue that Apple's lawsuit against Samsung didn't just get them $1.05 billion.It also fired a warning shot heard 'round the world by all would-be Android hardware copycats.Apparently Xiaomi is hoping the (corrupt) Chinese government...
BlackBerry, Microsoft (Windows Phone team), Nokia, LG, HTC.Did I leave anybody out of the sad-face-in-mobile party?Pretty sure I did.
 ... while laughing all the way to the bank.  
Exactly.  If Apple does use NFC, it won't be just another garden-variety implementation.  Not secure enough. And yes, if you have the expertise, a day or two of free time, and access to your victim's iPhone 5S, you can build up a 3D model of someone's fingerprint and eventually unlock that 5S.  But it's far easier and faster to point a gun at the victim and say "Unlock your iPhone." ​But, as you say, the real benefit of Touch ID is improving security for the great middle...
 Yes, it's possible that people could use 0000 or other easily-remembered passcodes out of ignorance and/or laziness.But for some reason the iPhone 5S requires you to tap in your passcode on reboots.  Not sure why.You'd think that the hardware could compare your thumbprint hash against that in the Secure Enclave as usual.
 Any touchless payment system could be considered a killer feature if it were only available on iPhone "6" and later.Touch ID was a killer feature for the 5S last year.  Always has been painful tapping in those bizarre passwords I use. And it certainly seems like I need to type them more frequently lately. But Touch ID's real benefit is improved security, even for those who never used a passcode before.Likewise, a touchless mobile payment system in the "6" could be a...