or Connect

Posts by SockRolid

I'm thinking that there may not be a plastic "6C" this year.  The 5C, more or less, is just the 2012 iPhone 5 internals in a plastic case.  And using the previous year's electronics isn't new.  Before last year, Apple sold older model year iPhones at $100 and $200 discounts.  For example, after the iPhone 5 was released in 2012, you could still buy the 2011 4S and 2010 4.   That changed in 2013 with the 5C.  Instead of continuing production of the complex 5, Apple...
 There you go again.  Trying to conflate malware in Google Play apps with phishing.Shame on you.
 Oh, I dunno.  Maybe by actually implementing better security?  Ya think?  Oh.  A little sophistry.  Sure, phishing is phishing.   But what do you call it when malware is available directly from Google Play?Built into otherwise innocent-looking apps?I call it a disaster.  Google hopes people won't notice.And no, it's not just a third-world problem here. ---Report: Malware-infected Android apps spike in the Google Play...
This time next year, we'll all be looking back and saying "Yeah, Pebble was like the VisiCalc of smart watches." Nice first try, helped to validate the market, wiped out by superior competitors overnight.
 Pinchai is either unaware of or ignoring that 99% of all mobile malware targets Android.If he were aware of or if he were not ignoring that particular catastrophe, he'd drop everything to try and fix it.He's obviously not.  Maybe he's striving for 100%. And no, that 99% number isn't just a semantic shade of meaning lost in translation.Here are a few security scare stories (not imaginary) out there to make my point: Kaspersky: 99% of all mobile threats target Android...
 But you're not willing to work too hard on security.  Are you? "... we do not guarantee that Android is designed to be safe; its format was designed to give more freedom."- Sundar Pichai, Google head of Android, Chrome, and Google Apps So, no.  They're not willing to work hard on security.You just can't trust Google.
Microsoft just doesn't get it. And they know it. And they hope consumers don't either.
And you thought Nixon had a patent on dirty tricks.
 Agree that Apple should apply that water-shedding nano-coating to their mobile electronics.  But I'm not so sure that Apple would tell anyone about it.  Improved waterproofness is a great feature, but advertising it would guarantee that a certain percentage of iPhone "6" buyers would dunk it in the kitchen sink at their first opportunity.  Then there would be the "last longer" Samsung vs. Apple tests so tech bloggers could generate more page hits with sensational...
 You nailed it.  Apple has followed the perfect strategy.  Build out an ecosystem over a decade or so, gradually, invisibly, while the entire world focuses on your cool devices (e.g. iPod in the '00s, iPhone + iPad in the '10s etc.)  Because hardware is the easiest thing for the media to photo-blog about and for "analysts" to count and extrapolate for next quarter.  (And, as seen in the photo above, hardware the easiest thing for wannabes to copy.) Of course, hardware is...