or Connect

Posts by SockRolid

Hey Samsung.  You know what to do.Green-light that toaster-fridge!
 Agree.  Instead of trying to destroy the cable / satellite companies, it's probably more likely that Apple will want to attract them to something better than the status quo.  Better cable company profitability, end-user experience, and all that good stuff.  This has worked spectacularly for Apple with iPhone.  It's the device everyone wants and thus the device that all carriers want to sell.  (At least in the US, Japan, etc.)  Apple didn't and probably will never try to...
Absolutely.  I switch between iMac with Yosemite and rMBP with Mavericks, and it almost physically hurts to go back to Mavericks.  It's not a massive leap forward in terms of cosmetics, but there are so many detail improvements.  I absolutely love the dark theme with Graphite appearance and Graphite highlight color, for example. Now, if only my iMac had a 2x resolution screen, the new Helvetica Neue system font might look a little smoother...
 Excellent point.  I'd gladly dump DirecTV (and pay a little more) for an ad-hoc pay-by-show solution from Apple.  Bundling is such a 20th century racket.  I don't need that "200 channels of crap," I'm not going to channel-surf through that 200 channels of crap looking for interesting crap, and I'd rather not be forced to search for what I am interested in ("The Great Martian War") using that horrendous on-screen keyboard. Sure, we've all grown up with 30-, 40-, 50-, and...
 I think you're right.  Apple could easily add "you leak, we cancel" clauses to their supplier contracts.  And yes, it looks like Apple likes to have multiple suppliers for the same component if possible.  That way they can force the competing suppliers into a bidding war and they could legitimately threaten to cancel all business with suppliers that leak information or otherwise breach their contracts. I'm starting to think that the "doubling down on secrecy" refers to...
 There are dozens of incumbents in the TV industry, and they're all deeply entrenched, and they're all going to fight tooth and nail against their inevitable fate.  The TV industry will probably end up like the music industry.  Mostly online sales and rentals, mostly internet-based content delivery, with iTunes (and possibly other online content stores) taking a large slice of the profits. I think it'll take years and years for Apple to disrupt TV as we know it.  First,...
 Depends on whether it includes iOS 7 or iOS 8.  And whether or not the thumbprint data hash code is part of iOS source or part of the Touch ID firmware.  (Especially the algorithm that identifies a Secure Enclave's ID as belonging to its specific matching iPhone hardware ID.)
 Europeans: totally paranoid of any and all government and corporate spying. Americans: outraged by government spying, somewhat annoyed by Google and other corporate spying. Chinese: completely accustomed to constant government spying and corporate spying. So what does that tell you about Chinese phones and Chinese Android hacks?
Interesting. Rolled out in English-speaking countries with fairly small populations. New Zealand: 4.5 million Singapore: 5.4 million South Africa: 52.4 million (with 29 million cell phone users of which only a small fraction are smartphone users) http://techtalkafrica.com/smartphone-usage-in-south-africa-infographic.html Maybe they're trying to replicate the WhatsApp phenomenon. Good luck with that.
 So, then, what good are "these market assessments"?Just because Brand X Sapphire Inc. isn't shipping iPhone front panels doesn't mean Apple won't be using sapphire.Because Apple has their own supplier. And, frankly, I don't care what the iPhone "6" front panels are made of, as long as they're Gorilla Glass or better.Never had any scratching problem.