or Connect

Posts by SockRolid

Except for the iDrive controller in BMW and Rolls Royce cars.  BMW may have invested too much time and energy (and money) in iDrive development to let Apple wade in and obsolete a huge chunk of its code.  Then again, I'm sure dealers hear customers whining each and every day about being forced to buy the "Technology Package" (a $2,150 option) for "Enhanced USB and Bluetooth plus Smartphone Integration" along with "Navigation system w/ touchpad" and "BMW Online and BMW...
 Yeah, time to let up on the gas pedal a bit.  No need for Samsung to spend anywhere near $14 billion on marketing this year.  They've already crushed their Android hardware rivals LG, HTC, Sony, Motorola, and whoever else belonged to the Open Handset Alliance (anybody remember the OHA?)   Oh, and of course Sammy has also crushed Nexus, Google's "reference" Android hardware / software pairing.  And as for all those white-box Chinese vendors, who cares?  They're so busy...
 I wonder how often poor little Scotty Forstall got the silent treatment.Especially after the iOS 6 Maps update.  And all that old-school skeuomorphism.
 Even smaller odds, I'd guess. About the same as for the Cleveland Browns to win the Super Bowl in July of next year.
Extry Extry!  Read all about it!   Former Wall Street Journal Reporter Sells Out to Cash In!
 Hmmmm.  Cook said $1 billion in revenue.  Not necessarily all from hardware sales.Various blogs have jumped to the conclusion that $1 billion in revenue / $100-per-Apple-TV-unit = 10 million Apple TV units sold.Maybe someone can post a breakdown. And yes, iTunes total revenue is probably well over $1 billion per year.  Apparently Apple doesn't publish exact iTunes numbers.From last quarter's unofficial earnings report: "iTunes/Software/Services ... $4.397 billion ......
 That $1 billion apparently includes iTunes sales and rentals.  And actually that's the best news of all.Revenue from content distribution is the real goal of Apple TV.  Isn't it?And isn't that Apple's long-term television strategy in a nutshell?
Apple is winning.
 Apple's battle to break into and disrupt the television industry is a long-term war of attrition.There are plenty of deeply entrenched old-school players (cable / satellite / over-the-air networks, etc.)Each and every one of whom will fight tooth-and-nail against internet TV unless they get paid somehow. Example 1: the NBC Olympics app required users to enter their cable or satellite account info before playing video.Example 2: the Xbox One requires a cable connection....
 Rudin has produced many Oscar-winning and Oscar-nominated movies, including "No Country for Old Men," "Captain Phillips," "Inside Llewyn Davis," "Moonrise Kingdom," "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo," and "Moneyball."  One of my fave Fincher flicks is "The Game," 1997.