or Connect

Posts by Fake_William_Shatner

So true, if we lose a few "connect with Facebook and let us datamine you" apps -- so much the better. Apple has done so much to put Facebook into the OS and allow advertisers access -- I think their best new upgrade will be to allow users to kick them all back out.
It will likely have a built in advertisement banner and auto update "feature." It would be nice if they built it with "Instant Messenger" but I hope the client can sit around and not suck up resources and the UI be improved. I'm hoping Microsoft doesn't stick their foot in it like they did with the xBox One. Maybe they've learned they have to compete in a market rather than dictate -- but old habits die hard. I also hope that calling phones won't be so dang expensive in...
 Too late… Google glass was created to help target assh0les...
 Damn -- I think I was dizzy for about 12 years after I fell too -- makes a lot of sense of my childhood in and out of special ed classes. ;-) Star Wars has awful tech -- except for how the Death Star weapon works, which I think was just an accident to "make something look cool." But if I were making a fusion beam weapon -- I'd have something like nuclear explosions in a plasma aimed at each other over a focusing parabola saturated with radio waves -- though I suspect it...
OK, my memory sucks. Glass has an index of refraction of around 1.52. Air is 1.003. Diamond is 2.418. Vacuum (no surprise) is 1.   Water changes it's refraction index based on temperature -- Ice having a lower index than water at room temperature. Should mean we can use interferometry to measure liquid temperature at a distance, right?   However, since a lens is going to need to curve light ANYWAY, you'd have some refraction or a LOT MORE based on the current applied...
 Sorry the refraction index for a material that does not distort light as it passes through is "1". We only have a few experimental materials with a refraction index less than 1. Diamond I think is 1.5 and that's what allows it to do some tricks with light such that facets create a "sparkle" which is also a prismatic effect on light. The curvature of the surface boundary is what allows glass to create a lens effect even though MOST glass (except doped glass like leaded...
 I haven't read Dune for a long time -- but wasn't an Ornithopter working kind of like a Dragonfly? These insects create a vortex between their wings, and THAT lower pressure air zone acts as a sort of delta wing. Bumble bees use the same kind of process. It's possible to create such a vortex with helicopter technology -- but I think it's mainly a matter of "inertia of design". The current fan or duct tech is known and mastered. If a vortex cannot create much greater...
The affect of gravity would be minuscule -- it's the size to surface area ratio where as you get smaller, surface tension replaces gravity as a factor. This allows insects to walk on water (for instance).   The other thing that you can use to cancel out gravity, is to put the "lens" inside of another fluid with a refraction index close to 0.
Many, Many years ago I submitted a patent for a device that would amplify radio waves, as part of that, it used interferometry to split a laser and cancel out other "non information" on the carrier signal. I also designed a "ferro fluid lens" system -- which showed up in someone else's patent about 10 years later (but it was kind of an obvious application and I doubt it was from what I submitted).   The sad thing is that I sent this design to "Invention Submission...
I'd like a Mac that went the OTHER way; skimp on the processor. Have 128 - 256 Gigs of hard drive, but a good, dedicated graphics card. The Mac Mini used to be an option but the Graphics card is more for Server routines now. This is a step backwards for people wanting to create Kiosks and take advantage of the real-time graphics of Quartz Composer. I suppose my best shot will be when they take the A7 and package it for a DVR device or some kind of home gaming system...