or Connect

Posts by Fake_William_Shatner

Google had someone on Apple's board of directors when they were developing the iPhone -- and Jobs had a gentleman's agreement that Google wasn't going to make a phone. That's why Steve Jobs got so mad at one time he said; "We're going to war" -- if my memory serves me. The other advanced warning for the competition was that the iPhone as assembled at Samsung's facilities -- so they'd know every detail of how to build one. Both companies had a privileged relationship with...
This is exactly like when a guy hits on a hot girl and after she turns him down he tells everyone she's an ugly slut -- and then dates her twin sister.
 The most important fact to include here is that Apple is trying to make their own Baseband chip. So that means they think it is do-able and cost effective. The Baseband is what does all the handshaking and data transfer with the cell tower -- so it isn't likely rocket science -- just more like tax accounting and every state has it's own rules. " You get much better results if both front and back end are from the same vendor. Simply because they optimize the heck out of...
 I can't see how it would take 5 years and 1,000 engineers. I assume the technology is already known. In order for the analyst to know what the requirements are, they would have to know Apple's intent. For instance, Apple could use some IBM self-programming chips that change to morph into various Basebands -- allowing one phone to work in many different locations. The same tech has been used to create self-adapting antennas because one design does not work best for every...
Well, I like Dvorak because his curmudgeon style is a good offset to all the "this will be great!" commercial hype surrounding each and every new shiny thing to come to market. However when he started being a Mac fan on "This Week In Tech" -- a podcast from some of the old ScreenSavers crew captained by Leo LaPorte; I started to worry about Apple. Anyway -- I think that most of these naysayers were not being insightful as much as they were waving a baton and pretending...
No, they should just re-make it with Samsung's revolutionary smart phone that looked just like the iPhone they were helping assemble at their factory.   Then they'll have to strike the jury because everyone will still think it's an example of an iPhone representing Apple as being innovate and worthy of patents.
 The internet made information free, and corporations and governments hired people to make it suspect.
I keep forgetting all the "news makers" -- isn't Gartner the one that used to be "Gartner Group" until I suppose his dog died?   Much IT and product news is "pay to play". You have some cool new bike invention? Buy some advertisements. If not, you could make cold fusion with that bicycle and never get a news story.   I don't know what magic Gartner has to get published -- I'm sure it has something to do with a discount on getting the right numbers in their "Gartner...
I'm not an expert here -- I sat in on one social meeting with a bunch of phone developers. They develop for the iOS first, because with Android, there is a lot more testing, platforms and adaptation that needs to be done -- plus, they have to program for the lowest common denominator.   With iPad, there's just more profit there for an application.   Microsoft is pushing out first for iOS because it's less development time and more profit -- the same decision most other...
 The "puzzled" part of it to me smacks of them doing what they want and acting surprised. It's part of the Dog and Pony show. If they were actually surprised, I'm guessing they wouldn't admit it. They's be shocked and outraged.