or Connect

Posts by GadgetDon

Except Amazon was using its profitability from other markets to sell books below its cost, and it's strength as a traditional book publisher to give it the deal it wanted on ebooks (you do what we want or else all your books disappear from our site, including the paperbacks and hardbacks). Amazon is so significant in the traditional book selling market, that's a serious threat.If the DoJ was also looking at Amazon's behavior, setting limits on its ability to sell below...
Given that Amazon is using its network to deliver copies to people, I have to assume they're getting a cut, maybe less than normal but a cut. For Apple and iBooks, I don't think the issue is the money to them, it's giving up all control over the user. Apple has left money on the table from magazine publishers rather than give them the info they're used to, I can't see them signing off on giving it to a book publisher who normally doesn't get that info.
If/when you can buy from the store, it's a better bet to buy them from the site, because apparently they're delivered without any DRM (which books bought from the Kindle Store, Nook store, and iBook Store are all wrapped in). The prices are reasonable as well, $8 for the older/shorter books, $10 for the newer/longer books with a decent bundle price ($57.54) Audiobooks seem a bit on the high end, though I'll admit I buy most of my audiobooks through Audible so may be...
Apple may make higher profits for having moved manufacturing offshore, but that doesn't generate income and thus taxes. Here's what built that big hoard of cash oversees. A guy in England buys an iPad from a store in England. It ships from China, maybe spent some time in a warehouse in Germany. Apple UK, a division of Apple, Inc., reports the sale to the tax people in the UK, pays VAT taxes, payroll taxes for the UK employees, and then UK income tax based on the profit...
A pure repatriation tax holiday probably wouldn't have different results (other than avoiding the double-taxation in the system which is why repatriation doesn't happen now), but maybe there's another solution. Special deduction. If a business brings money into the U.S. and uses it for various forms of capital outlays or other investment within the U.S., they can deduct a percentage of the amount spent from the repatriation tax. So, if Apple wants to build a new factory,...
After "There's a map for that" and the island of misfit toys commercial - there will not be a Verizon iPhone as long as Steve Jobs lives.