or Connect

Posts by GadgetDon

A privately owned store is expecting the secular bank system to process its checks and credit cards, have the secular police come and deal with any thefts or other disturbances, have the secular newpapers run its ads, regardless of what the people in those entities think about the beliefs of the owner of the store. The "able to serve any person, or not, for any reason whatsoever" ship sailed in 1963. And we are a better country because of it.
"I want to go into a store and get served just like everyone else" is NOT special treatment. "I don't want some salesperson or some baker or some hotel clerk or some manager pass judgement on my life and say I can't be served" is NOT special treatment.
Some of the people were Christians, some were other types of thiests, some were athiests. But we definitely are not a Christian nation. We've got a lot of Christians (I'm one) but that doesn't define us. We also, incidentally, have a lot of Christians who believe that the bans on homosexuality are in the same category as the laws on diet, clothing, and limiting the rights of women - a combination of things that only applied to a small tribe wandering through the wilderness...
Given the number of companies whose leadership has made similar statements - odd how our biggest companies are lead by businessmen who are not smart.
The Ten Commandments largely form the basis of our laws? So not honoring your parents is a crime? It's illegal not to worship the Judeochristian God and hold any other Gods before Him? And while the Bible is still used as a holdover from older days, it is not required. Tim Cook did not say "We're going to examine the donations of our customers and remotely disable any who deny the truth of Global Warming". He just said "If you're not willing to accept that we will run the...
 If the law was saying "everyone must engage in the gay sex orgy after a wedding", you might have a point. But I don't think there's anything in the bible about "Thou shalt not take wheat and yeast and make confections for men who lie with each other". (There are parts that suggest what you should do is murder them, but I presume you're neither suggesting that is what the proverbial Christian Baker should do when a gay couple asks for a wedding cake nor that the baker...
Individual discrimination, while often deplorable, is your business and your right. You're being a jackass, but you have an inalienable God-given right to be a jackass some of the time. The good news is that form of being a jackass is dying as older generations go away and more enlightened kids take its place. Fear not, other forms of being a jackass will take its place. But when you open your store for business, saying "Come one, come all, come buy my products or hire me...
The employer has no control over your commute. They don't know where you live, and if you want it shorter, you could in theory move. They've got lots of control over how long it takes to do the security check when people leave. They could schedule it so everyone checks out at once, there's only one person who does the checks and he's to do the checks after he does other tasks (so there's a long wait) or have multiple people do the security check and have people check out...
Based on the precedent, there was no way that it wouldn't be dismissed - but that doesn't mean that the law shouldn't be such that they shouldn't be paid. The problem isn't so much how long it takes to be checked out, but there are delays in doing the security check so the employee is stuck inside the store, unable to leave. And as the law exists now, there's no incentive on the part of the employer to reduce the waiting time (by putting a higher priority on managers to do...
Carl Icahn's history is why I bash him. His history isn't "support companies as they grow and become stronger", it's "pull every possible dollar out of the company and sell off the husk to whoever will pay for it". Yes, it's starting with something reasonable, turn some of that excess cash back over to the shareholders. It always starts with something reasonable.   And his statement that he isn't selling his stock in the buyback means his percentage of the company grows...