or Connect

Posts by Crunch

My 4TB NAS has 2 of these WD Green Drives. It has seen heavy usage over an 18-month usage period (knock on wood) and the drives are super fast and completely silent! Of course, RAID 0 has a lot to do with the fast part and I have never connected them with eSATA but only with FireWire 800 and they still feel very fast. The best part is that they make no noise at all, because there is no fan and the design of the housing lets plenty of air to flow through. I can only...
The 3TB one is probably a WD AV-GP (WD30EURS), which is also silent, has 64MB of cache, and won't produce too much heat, which is important, of course, because the TimeCapsule has no fans.
That's awesome!!! One question, though. Does the "new" Time Capsule also have the 2.8 times increased output and will it, as apparently the Airport Extreme, also have greater range and signal strength, at least theoretically? Or does the Time Capsule only have the higher 3TB option and not the AE's wireless enhancements? I would hope that it does have them as well.
Thanks for letting me know about the ISO's. That's pretty cool. However, has anyone had an issue running BootCamp on the 2011 MBP's? I've never had a problem on the various iMac's that I've owned, so what's the story here? Is it the lack of a Windows driver for the ThunderBolt port? I'm stating to think that's it. Hmmmm....
Monitors usually don't have two MiniDP ports, but NAS storage RAID arrays made for ThunderBolt will so we can daisy-chain as many as 7 devices and the monitor is the last item in the chain. Back to the original topic, though. Will we see new displays from Apple, as in stand-alone Cinema Display's? I'm about to pull the trigger on a 27" ACD but wasn't there something about new displays coming around the time that the new MacBook Air's will come out? The latter are being...
I have a Time Capsule, which had the 3x3 MIMO all along and sure enough, the link speed is 450Mbps on Lion vs. 300Mbps on Snow Leopard. Why was that not "unblocked" for Airport Extreme and Time Capsule customers in previous OS X versions? \
First of all, you're not stupid and there are very few stupid questions. ;-)How have you tried to delete older backups? If you're using Time Machine, it should automatically delete the oldest backup when it runs out of space.Partitioning the drive may be a good idea if you're using it for Time Machine backups and if you manually copy to it as well. What that means is you could, for example, partition, i.e. split up the entire 1TB hard drive into two logical partitions,...
Alright, so I finally got my very first ever Mac notebook, the 2011 17" MacBook Pro. It is one sweet piece of machinery and the Geekbench rating of 10,000 is just incredible! It does get hot, though, and the fans are loud! Wow! I guess there are trade-off's. Anyway, Is it true that I can remove the SuperDrive and put in another hard drive or SSD and would I even be able to use RAID? And if so, are all SATA connectors SATA III (6Gbps) or is the one running the SuperDrive...
...alright, I finally got it to work. Since I virtually never use optical drives, I thought that the new version of Boot Camp (4.0) wasn't working right because Lion had called it "blank". Turns out it wasn't. Although it didn't show any files even in Windows, it had apparently been formatted for Windows at one point. I found another DVD that was empty and burned a much more recent source disk of Windows 7 x64 that also had SP1 on it. I also made a bootable USB drive,...
Yea, the Dell U2711 for example. It's uglier, too. Apple must not care much about serving up this monitor (now that there's only one model anymore) to anyone who is not using a Mac. That's unlike was the case when they sold the 30" ACD. It even says "Windows Ready" or something like that on the box.Not that I care, but it goes to show that Apple doesn't care either. With iOS devices being 2/3 of the company's business and on the Mac side, 3/4 of Mac's sold are MacBook's of...