or Connect

Posts by Crunch

Happened at around 3:20am Pacific. Awesomeness!
What's so special about the FireWire enclosures that they're so expensive? By the way, it looks like the iMac refresh (along with one for the Mac Pro but I'm not taking out a 2nd mortgage) is coming up in the immediate future.I've had my iMac for 2 1/2 weeks and I know of one person who bought a Mac mini 2 weeks before the new models were released and she was able to just swap it out at her Apple store, no questions asked. I was already going to try to upgrade to a 27"...
Thanks very much for your advice. That was smart to check with your IT staff, as they are hopefully in the know. I checked out all of the drives and the enclosure type that you suggested and they look great! WD drives have always been good to me and that particular 1TB drive you mentioned even comes with the SATA 6Gbps interface and 64MB of cache! All the ones from Seagate in that category, including even its 1.5TB version, only have SATA 3Gbps and half the cache size...
Hi everyone! I am in the market for two additional 1-2TB drives. I read so many horrible reviews about the 1TB Seagate Barracuda ST31000528AS(+Q for the Apple drives?) that is in the iMac for those who order 1TB systems. Why would Apple choose this drive if it really has such a significant chance of failing? Yes, there were plenty of 5-star reviews as well, but it's annoying that a significant number of these drives seem to die within only a few months of usage and...
Thanks for the very warm welcome! @Mr. Me: Perian's great, and it pretty much works like the K-Lite codec packs that are typically used in Windows environments for this purpose. I went through the list of formats, and it plays everything that I need now, and then some. Is there an advantage to playing particular formats in QT vs. VLC, as far as quality is concerned? @1337_5L4Xx0R: Nice app list. Firefox is my fav as well. I recently started using the "Firefox Sync"...
Hi all! So I finally got myself an iMac 21.5" with the ATI 4670 HD graphics card and the 1TB 7200rpm drive, after I experienced some flickering on my original one with the lower-end NVIDIA 9400M. I'm not saying that it is that particular graphics card's fault, but I found a few other things, such as the see-through "glass" effect that I did not see when I had the iMac with the NVIDIA card. Is it possible that the ATI card makes additional effects possible, or, for that...
Thank you, Marvin. Excellent advice!
Hi all, so I got my new iMac (the base model w/ NVIDIA 9400M) and I'm fairly happy with it. However, I've noticed that when I dim the screen all the way down, the screen starts to flicker just a little bit. Admittedly, it took me a while before I noticed it at all, but now that I know it's there...you know how it goes. Has anyone ever encountered this issue? Is there a software fix, such as a driver from NVIDIA? If I exchanged it for another iMac with the ATI Radeon...
Hey everyone! I'm thinking of getting an iMac tomorrow, and I have a few last minute questions about it. Being that it's an all-in-one unit, will I be able to replace the hard drive with an SSD? I would like to do a mirror image of the hard drive and swap it on the SSD. Besides RAM and, hopefully the hard drive, I suppose I can't swap the video card for a different one, yes? Speaking of which, I'll be getting the 21.5" version and wanted to know if I should go for...
So I'm getting an iMac tomorrow, and I'd like to ask a couple of last minute questions about Apple's OS. How is OS X more secure and more advanced than Windows 7? Do I really not need any anti-virus or anti-malware programs for "just in case" situations? What does the fact that OS X is based on a UNIX foundation mean for me? Does the OS do a lot of sandboxing to thwart yet other threats? With Snow Leopard's going (almost) all 64-bit, is this really going to benefit...