or Connect

Posts by Crunch

Yes, this made me laugh, too, although this attitude is probably what ultimately killed him, or at least killed him when it did, as opposed to however much additional time he might still have had if he only hadn't been so stubborn about getting his surgery in 2003. And that's sad. Because he didn't have to die. At least not yet.
So you're ready to pay another $1,000 on top of what most consider already pretty pricey Apple products? And you're sure you won't complain when your iPhone is $499 with a 2-yr. contract, right? I'm just checking.+1.
Is there a software update available for this, because Software Update did not download anything to help "turn" my optical drive SATA port into a SATA III (6Gbps) port, which, I thought, was supposed to have happened in the more recently built MBP's...? I have two SATA III SSD's in my 15" MBP and one of them is rocking 6Gbps, the other says "Intel 6 Series Chipset", just as the main (hard drive) one, but under Link Speed, it says 3Gbps as well as under Negotiated...
I am looking forward to the day when my 27" Cinema ("ThunderBolt") or whatever display is as incredibly sharp as the iPhone 4. For a 3.5" screen to have 326ppi, along with an LED backed IPS panel was something to behold. The iPad 3 will arguably be next to have an extremely high ppi rating at the almost 10" mark, but imagine "Retina" like numbers on screens over 20" or 25"...
A RAID array inside a MacBook Air? lol...Well, OWC just came out with a SATA III (6Gbps) PCIe SSD drive manufactured specifically for the 2011 MacBook Air yesterday, which will keep pace with ThunderBolt speeds quite nicely at above 500MB/s for file transfers. Mmmmhhh...if only Apple would put some darn IPS displays in any of its notebooks.
Haha what??? Just one of my OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G SSD's runs at 500-550MB/s, well above SATA II's theoretical maximum throughput. With two of them in a RAID, they run at above 900MB/s, which is well above the ~ 700MB/s, which is what current ThunderBolt RAID devices have been reported to max out at. As far as I'm concerned, I can't wait until a less-than-$1,000 external ThunderBolt RAID will arrive at Apple stores. It should be a perfect complement to my dual-SATA III...
(filler)
Good stuff! I hope it will be like iTunes music where we can, for a $24.95 fee, upload all of our music and it becomes part of our iTunes library. Uploading TV shows (and maybe eventually movies as well) might be too much "cumbersome" for those who have less-than-1Mbps upload speeds.
This subject is not new, as many MacBook Air owners who purchased their late-2010 MacBook Air (11" and 13" models alike) early on mostly received a Toshiba SSD. Fast-forward to earlier this spring and it turned out that Apple put a significant number of higher-end SSD's from Samsung in its MacBook Air's, which have more advanced features, such as NCQ (Native Command Queuing), and produce higher speeds as compared to the ones from Toshiba. I just got my mid-2011 13"...
Any of you ever watch Steve Jobs' introduction of the very first Time Capsule @ Macworld in January of 2008? They were 500GB/1TB for $299/$499 at the time and Steve goes out of his way to re-iterate how it's server grade, as in not just any drive, it's "very reliable". The graphic behind him shows the Time Capsule with the blue "802.11n" logo to the left and "Server Grade" to the right of a giant picture of the first ever Time Capsule. It was actually the very first item...