or Connect

Posts by eightzero

Didn't Russia take down a Steve Job exhibit in protest over Cook coming out? Surely that's what this is about.
I'm a pretty active cyclist. I would never consider going on a ride without my iPhone, as it is essential emergency gear (yes, how times change.) Apple Watch will connect to it in my back pocket where it will always be. And, the taptic feedback in the Apple Watch will give me better directions that the Garmin map on my bars. This does take some programming ahead of a ride, but I do take complicated routes, and it helps.
OK. I stand corrected. It apparently has at least a wifi chip in it. But it also seems to indicate that it can only communicate via wifi to iPhone. Meaning it can't figure out where it is via wifi; and I would assume no calls over wifi via Skype.
Maybe because that is what is reported on the Apple website: "Wi-Fi and GPS. Apple Watch uses the GPS and Wi‑Fi in your iPhone to help measure the distance you travel during the day or during workouts that can’t be measured in steps, such as cycling." Apple Watch's connectivity appears to only be via BT4.0 (and the magsafe charger into a USB device.). This is sort of interesting given that Apple also reported that it's timekeeping is accurate to the "universal standard"...
Don't think so. Wifi uses a lotta power. From the Apple page: "Wi-Fi and GPS. Apple Watch uses the GPS and Wi‑Fi in your iPhone to help measure the distance you travel during the day or during workouts that can’t be measured in steps, such as cycling." If I recall, Chairman Honeycrisp said he uses his Apple Watch to control his AppleTV. The most recent version of AppleTV includes BT, maybe just for this purpose?
You are most likely correct on the initial release. Apple Watch communicates with the outside world via BT4.0. What data will be allowed over that stream to apps or third party apps isn't clear at this point. Apple has a history of restricting access to some things, particularly on new products. Almost certainly Apple will put restrictions on anything that potentially affects battery life. It is less clear that this will be the case in future versions. Still, Apple Watch...
I have never been disappointed by an Apple product, and I know I won't be by Apple Watch. Thanks for your insightful advice.
The new site does have a lot of new information on it. I'm really looking forward to having an Apple Watch; and to giving my wife one too. I see a lot of useful functions, lots of value.   I've worn a basic Timex watch for decades. I am very used to having the time on my wrist, and the rare occasions I forget it, I spend the day looking at my empty wrist and swearing The Timex was a $20 watch as a birthday gift from my wife 23 years ago. Takes a licking and keeps on...
I think this just might be signs that people are running out of new things to do with them. I bought a launch day iPad, and found instant new things to do with it. I've upgraded to a iPad mini, and it suits many of those needs. I also added a 13"MBA, and found it preferable to the iPad for many things. You just select the right device. Casual consumption of media is best on a tablet, but i just don't see a compelling need to move to the next iPad when they come out. I wait...
I'm not sure all that is true. It appears from the WatchSDK, a lot of the app functionality will be in the iPhone, so yes, apps will be very limited. I think synced notifications will appear (but obviously not real time ones.) Pretty sure it will log Health info, but for a snyc iPhone would be required to put that data into a database. I always put my iPhone on the charger when I'm at home. Generally that's once a day. I don't see the "charge it once a day" being a huge...