or Connect

Posts by eightzero

I think this just might be signs that people are running out of new things to do with them. I bought a launch day iPad, and found instant new things to do with it. I've upgraded to a iPad mini, and it suits many of those needs. I also added a 13"MBA, and found it preferable to the iPad for many things. You just select the right device. Casual consumption of media is best on a tablet, but i just don't see a compelling need to move to the next iPad when they come out. I wait...
I'm not sure all that is true. It appears from the WatchSDK, a lot of the app functionality will be in the iPhone, so yes, apps will be very limited. I think synced notifications will appear (but obviously not real time ones.) Pretty sure it will log Health info, but for a snyc iPhone would be required to put that data into a database. I always put my iPhone on the charger when I'm at home. Generally that's once a day. I don't see the "charge it once a day" being a huge...
What I think will come quickly is an improvement in the tech to allow the Watch to have a GPS/WiFi/Cell chip installed on the system chip, but it to be *very* restricted on use (kinda like the NFC chip in the iPhone6.) First to come would be a emergency 911/ location system. I see this as highly desirable. And that would be *all* it could do. Then perhaps as batteries get better and power requirements drop, perhaps it becomes more of a standalone device. Saying it is...
Interesting discussion. I'm pretty sure Apple knows the Watch will evolve and get better with time (!). There is an alternative to user upgradable: perhaps the Watch Edition that will go for thousands will include a guaranteed resale price back to Apple on a future version of the Edition? Not sure how aggressive Apple will be, or feels they need to be. The Watch will work as a standalone device, but of course it will lose much of its functionality. It will still look and...
The comment about the data in the Health app not being editable has other implications. I always take Mr. iPhone with me on a bike ride, and it thinks jiggling around in my back pocket is steps. When I sync my Garmin cyclometer to Strava (because the Garmin Connect app is a POS) it correctly adds my cycling distance to Health, but of course the activity is counted twice.   A simple third party app to edit Health data would solve the issue. Anyone? Anyone? Buehler?
Can blood glucose be measured without a needle stick? If so, I would expect a third party sensor with BT4.0 in it. And that manufacturer to handle not only the regulatory filings, but to produce a (licensed?) Apple Watch band to place the sensor on the other side of the wrist. As an aside, I know there is an active, lucrative market for those test strips.
Thanks for sharing that. It's good to hear from someone that knows the nuts and bolts. Sir Jony was quite explicit about this being a "compelling beginning" for wearables. It will be interesting to see where it all leads. Think what cell phones did since the creation of iPhone. I can think of a few apps I would really like for my Apple Watch. A cycling app to give me taptic route directions (tap fast, go right. tap slowly, go left or something.) IFTTT will give some cool...
I found this article interesting and informative. I'm not a dev, so it is hard for me to follow some of the details: http://david-smith.org/blog/2014/11/06/expectations-for-watchkit/
 This is a fair analysis. At this point, we don't *exactly* know what the Apple Watch will do or exactly what role it can play in people's lives. But...Apple has been pretty good about answering that in the past. I specifically remember seeing an ad for iPod, and thinking to myself "I have no need for that." I found a use, and have had a dozen of them.  Consumer expectations change over time when function becomes evident.
True story:  in my hometown of Seattle, there is an outdoor shopping mall "University Village." You can stand in a small parking lot and look east at the front of a Apple company retail store. Look to the west, and you see a Microsoft company retail store. Every time I've been there (to go east, of course) I see a packed and busy Apple store; and a very sad looking, empty Microsoft store.  Easy to draw some conclusions.