or Connect

Posts by eightzero

I sure hope this update fixes the bug that has disabled backup of the iTunes library to DVD. Haven't been able to do that for some time.
Dang. Was rather hoping they'd fix the bug preventing backup to DVD. That hasn't worked for some time now.
Ah, the fork tailed doctor killer.
If the a/c loses power, the loss of data is the least of your worries. And hey, while we're at it, can we have an app that uses the GPS position to alert the crew "HEY! DON'T FORGET TO LAND!"
I do understand why they might be reluctant to offer tethering on an unlimited plan. But there is a technological solution: limit the amount of data through the tether. Make it $20/month for 2GB of tethered data. Or even just allow a user ("customer?") switch on a monthly basis from an unlimited plan to a limited plan with tether. Don't want to dork around with jailbreaking. Isn't really all that important.
Still really curious how this will work. I have an unlimited iPhone 4 plan. $20/month for a tether option is actually too much, but I might byte (!) if in a pinch (!) if the tether option was offered month to month. I rather suspect I will be required to downgrade and sign up for continuous tethering.
Guess I'm something of the heretic here, but I understand why that is. But it also seems like there is an opportunity for a simple technological solution: data flowing though the tether option is merely capped at some limit. Or once that limit is exceeded via the tether, there is a charge in that billing cycle. Simple, effective and ultimately makes AT&T some extra dough.
I'm still very curious about the tethering function, and how it will work. Will the setting simply be disabled if you do not have an approved tethering plan from the carrier? And our friends at AT&T have been less than helpful. There is no information on their web site on how to add a tethering plan to an existing unlimited iPhone data plan. Presumably one must downgrade. Perhaps a developer with an unlimited plan can load the GM and let us know if the preference is...
The bug preventing backup to disk is still in 10.2. Sure would be nice if they would fix that.
And oh BTW, about the tethering option in iOS4.3: any sign of pricing from our friends at AT&T? Last I saw it was $20/mo extra on an extended contract. That's a big No Thank You, but if they get it to a reasonable price and on a monthly option change (kind of like the plans for a 3G iPad) it sounds very nice.