or Connect

Posts by eightzero

Underwhelmed. First time I've seen Apple announce something that is largely irrelevant. And with iBooks Author, now anyone can make a textbook with crappy content, and claim it is a "published textbook." I can see whole school districts in Kansas making science textbooks that omit evolution. Nothing here, move along. Except of course, tho looks like Apple is returning to the Newton Model of business.
From what I understand, Jobs didn't like any charity. "Tribute" my eye. It is profiteering, plain and simple. If a person can't own and control their own likeness, what can they control. Although we already know you don't control your own cells, organs, etc...
....and get sued by AAPL then. Fuggetabouddit.
Even better - notice that this is the cited analyst's *job*. She went to Asia, saw some things that she isn't giving evidence of, drew some conclusions...and ge's paid to do this. IOW, just what everyone here on AI could do, given someone show them some vague shiat in Asia. Then, it gets better - people pay the company she works for to give this "advice" to them so they can plan their portfolio. And we wonder why the financial markets crashed.
Fair.
New products from AAPL usually involve fixing tech where the competitors suck. TV generally don't suck. What sucks is what is on them. Not sure there's any tech to fix that. I have no interest in talking to my tv.
"Apple on Wednesday sent out invitations for a special event next week on Jan. 19..." Today is Wednesday January 11th. Does that help? As an educator, I'm really interested in what this event will bring.
The wifi part helps. There are places in my house where I'd like to have the TV on while I do other things. Most of my TV watching is live sports, and I don't want an extra cable wire and box going into those rooms for the occasional game coverage. Wonder if this will have a airplay function, so I can push it onto an appleTV? It eliminates the cable and box, itself kind of cool. For the price.
I like the price. If it works. Right now, the xfinity app doesn't, even though my cable box is listed as one of the ones it is supposed to. Opened a ticket with their tech support, no action. But my bill always comes on time.
I see the charm, and this is exciting in that in offers a glympse of Apple's continuing tech innovations. But I still think the key to "cracking" TV is in Steve's comments regarding the integrated system of content providers and set top boxes and TV units is accurate: it isn't the tech that is hard - it is the business model. IOW: content content content. AppleTV remains a "hobby" because without user controled content (read: a la carte channels or programming) there isn't...