or Connect

Posts by eightzero

Cool. Not often I get to say "I told you so." :-)
Options are good.   I like my SlingTV service. They even sent me a free FireTV stick.    My Comcast TV package is only about $25/mo. What I find rather interesting is how hard it is to find someone in Seattle to put up a TV mast and antenna. All this talk about cable cutting, yet that appears to be a service no one thinks is a viable business.
One other marketing thing I just now noticed: Apple Watch is offered in 38mm and 42mm case sizes. Is this the first Apple Product specifically identified in metric MKS units? The new MacBook is a 12 inch product. The iPhone6 comes in 4.7 inch and 5.5 inch sizes (although thickness seems to be in mm.) iMacs are all spec'ed in inches. Apple is like the russkies, son. They don't take a dump without having a plan...
Well...Apple had to offer a less expensive version that women could afford. That whole $.70 on the dollar thingy...
Betcha you'll need new bands because the case will change. Apple already is a master of the supply chain, so that's not an issue for them. But the bands are for sure a high profit margin item. Yes; and yes. I am right handed, but wear a watch on my right wrist (and mouse with my left.) Makes me somewhat amphibious (!). But here's the thing: currently, I only look at my watch. I will need to manipulate Apple Watch, and I'm not sure which hand I will prefer to do that. Guess...
I agree. I have already decided the charging stand goes bedside. No reason to plug the watch into my mac. There is an advantage of plugging my iPhone into my mac though, so its cable lives there. I can see Siri becoming my new alarm clock. IIRC from Kevin Lynch's demo, it works like "hey Siri" with no hands. "Siri, alarm off." "Siri, snooze 10 minutes." Kinda sad, actually...my current alarm clock is 30 years old. Nostalgia.
How Apple deals with this issue will be interesting. There are many products, as you rightly point out, that Apple has no interest in or making. Cases, etc. But...it looks to me like bands are not only an integral part of the product, but a significant source of revenue. The metal bands surely are expensive to make, and they look very nice. But a simple leather strap at $100+? Uh...no. Perhaps Apple will turn the other cheek. You can get a steel watch with an inexpensive...
You know, I did see some videos on WatchAware that seemed to indicate this. There was a lot of failed swiping (and fairly, a lot of people were being awfully ham-handed.) I've come to the conclusion that obviousness is the antithesis of personal. I expect something of a learning curve. Contrary to Kevin Lynch's alacrity (he designed the stuff, so it is obvious to him) I think people struggle with trying to do unfamiliar things quickly. Can't tell you how many times I've...
The one thing that really got my interest in the Spring Forward event was the new touchpad and functions in the new MacBook. The first ting I thought of is "how can they build that into a new mouse for my mac?" I have a trackpad, and never use it. 
Yet. Wait for it, patents be damned.