or Connect

Posts by eightzero

The headline is clearly a typo. Should be:   Cheap Chinese Apple Watch copycat appears at CES 16 weeks later than anticipated There. Fixed it for you.   Substantively, Apple can (and perhaps does) act to require customs officials confiscate infringing articles. Hard to do at the US border; even harder to get cooperation from even the friendliest of foreign nations. And does Apple really want to make a public claim that these articles in any way dilute or harm their...
Tim confirmed this in an interview.
"Work" means many things. Much of Apple Watch's functionality will be unavailable without a connection to an iPhone. However, it won't turn into an unpowered brick if it isn't. It will always function as a watch, and it will also play back audio via BT headphones. It will be able to display some photos. There are other features that are not yet clear how they will function without an iPhone. You are correct that it is an iPhone accessory, but the ignorant tag is a bit of...
The whole home automation concept is way, way overhyped. Much of it pointless and of no value. I can sort of see a new home being designed from the ground up with built-in conceptually integrated features. But most consumers will be faced with some sort of retrofitting task.   Here's the rule: your consumer item can't take away any feature from an existing technology. Having a remote control to anything *must not* remove existing functionality. If a switch on the wall...
Thanks. Rumor is that Belkin is working on a hub like system (not WeMo) that can learn the power signature of everything in a house. Put it on the meter, and it is smart enough to tell when specific appliances are used, and how much each is using. That's a system I'd be interested in. No dorking around with plugs.
"Eve Energy is a smart electrical plug unit that connects directly to a power outlet to measure energy consumption over time..."   The image of the Eve Energy sure doesn't help figure out how that works. Maybe that is a non-US plug?
I just have a hard time figuring out how to deploy these things. I have a single wemo light switch, and it works great. It works because it functions both as a mechanical switch when I'm standing next to it, and I can toggle the function with a remote iOS app.   With this iDevice, if I am standing next to a lamp or appliance and want to turn it on or off, I have to go find my iPhone (or resort to my Apple Watch that I don't see yet.) Yuck. Or fish the cord on the...
Apparently, Dish owns Sling Media.
This is huge. I would have gladly paid $20/mo for ESPN over this last holiday season.   It will be interesting to know if it will stream to AppleTV via AirPlay.   I assume you don't otherwise need to be a DishTV customer.   Huge.
Oh, there will be - you'll pay for the app functionality up front, or do without. This is a horrible prospect. I do hope that the app store makes it very clear what apps are supported by ads like this. Apple recently changed the "free" button to "get" so my guess is that they are going in the opposite direction. The ad world is full of this kinda stuff: you pay for content, then still get ads. It's annoying. My local newspaper has a paywall - they want up front money -...