or Connect

Posts by eightzero

Oh, there will be - you'll pay for the app functionality up front, or do without. This is a horrible prospect. I do hope that the app store makes it very clear what apps are supported by ads like this. Apple recently changed the "free" button to "get" so my guess is that they are going in the opposite direction. The ad world is full of this kinda stuff: you pay for content, then still get ads. It's annoying. My local newspaper has a paywall - they want up front money -...
“It is 1958. IBM passes up the chance to buy a fledgling company that has just invented a new technology, called Xerography. Two years later Xerox is born and IBM has been kicking itself ever since.""It is 10 years later, the late 60s. Digital Equipment and others invent the mini computer. IBM dismisses the mini computer as too small to do serious computing and unimportant to their business. DEC grows to become a multi hundred million dollar corporation before IBM finally...
 Perhaps this is the most intriguing topic for the wearables: how will it change personal behavior? The deeply flawed Google Glass evidenced this in spades. The GG is certainly interesting technology; and it has some potential in select applications, but as an everyday consumer wearable, it was a huge failure. Places demanded their removal as a condition of entry. Others were assaulted and robbed for them because of their cost and resale price. Oh, and lets not forget...
Well OK. I don't recall hearing that in the unveil or otherwise. Pretty sure it runs on BT4.0, and that does have something of a limited range. Some people have pretty big houses or work in big offices. I can see Apple making an effort to make that connection between iPhone and Apple Watch very stable. Power consumption of the Watch is going to be an issue for some time (!) and I think BT takes far less power than wifi. So, when the Watch sees iPhone via BT, it goes to...
Well...in 2014BC you would have not have known it was "2014 BC" and could not have known 2015 AD was only hours away. Just thought I'd point that out.
Apple said that specifically? The iPhone has to be "nearby?" I agree it makes sense, but I'm curious to know for sure.
I would guess that too. But you've tried it? Or read that is how the function works on Apple source documentation?
Yes, Apple Watch will require an iPhone. But I'm curious where iPhone has to be. Apple's web page says Apple Watch has wifi, meaning theoretically, the Watch can connect to the iPhone via any wifi network. The Connectivity functions with iPhone to Yosemite phone calls requires the same network, so it is plausible the Watch->iPhone connection will require that. But maybe not?   "Early 2015" is only hours away. 
I'm down with all that. Hoping to see it come to pass. Any addition of choices for the consumer is good. The Holy Grail of course is streaming live sports. The Gorilla in the room is ESPN. NHL, MLB and NBA have built out nice apps on AppleTV to go with their offerings online. The NFL is conspicuously absent, having just recently renewed their exclusive agreement with DishTV.  There's lots of work for Apple to do; and they seem to have the correct strategy. 
This was an interesting read. Thanks AI.   There is little doubt there is more to come. Simple extrapolation of the product lines, as the article points out, shows that AAPL has a design and innovation strategy that works. Contrary to what some might be concluding, the Apple Watch is not a make or break product. I expect it to be wildly popular, but I am really looking forward to the stuff no one is predicting. Sure - all the world waits for an AppleTV update, but with...