or Connect

Posts by eightzero

I suspect Apple Watch will have an app for turn by turn...and use taps on the wrist for left or right.  Power Meters are for serious athletes. I, however, don't really need a device telling me "push the pedals harder, you slacker."
Hum. My iPhone 5s has the location services enabled, but I'm not recording using Strava. I have a Garmin705 that records (and will be the last Garmin device I ever buy.) I don't have battery issues, so I'd suspect the app you're using to record. I've given thought to getting one of those battery booster cases for just this purpose. They are quite inexpensive.
The rollout by Garmin on their app to integrate with HealthKit was a gigantic fail - their app simply doesn't work. That said, HealthKit doesn't seem to understand that when I'm cycling, it shouldn't be counting my steps. HealthKit actually has a long way to go. I rather expect a third party dev to come up with an editor of some sort for it so you can at least bulk delete the steps counted in a certain time period during the day.   Seems like Health itself could have a...
Meh. I suppose this could work for some people. Keep it under $100, and they might sell some. Racing to the bottom of pricing isn't Apple's strategy, and I'm sure they're happy to abandon this to others. I'm a cyclist, and my iPhone is part of my safety gear. Don't think you can call 911 or AAA (or find a mapped route) on this fitbit. It's not an Apple Watch competitor any more than a landline phone competes with a iPhone.
Just what the world needs: another half baked unfinished MS product, racing to the bottom again.
1. Well...I would. I have 2 2009 iMacs, and would like the functionality. Dongles are very inexpensive.2. Agreed. Maybe leave it to 3rd party devs.3. Not sure it is obvious. There are many hardware incompatibilities that Apple clearly disclaims. i.e. iOS Jailbreaking. 5. I'd be curious to know if they actively blocked the technology and why.  I agree that one can't expect new technology to be limitelessly backward compatible.
I get that the technology to male it work wasn't available until then. But I am curious to know whether or not the system was purposely built to prohibit the use of dongles for the sole reason that AAPL wishes you to buy their upgraded hardware. Sure, you can justify it my say it is easier to do with on board BT4LE, but if no technical reason exists to allow dongle compatible add-ons...well...that'd be disappointing.
I'm sorta wondering if the next version of the AirPort is going to have a iPhone docking station. Why carry your iPhone around the house? Park it at the door. Although fairly, I do snap the occasional in-home pic with it.   Hey, that might be a nice aftermarket product. An airport platform with power, docks for iPhones, a bluetooth 4 "booster" (who cares if it uses more power when it is plugged into the wall?) 
Yes. This entire functionality will not work on a great many number of macs that will run Yosemite, but lack the BT4LE built in hardware (as is the case with my late 2009 iMac.) Dongles are reported to not currently function. This doesn't mean they might be made to work in the future by enterprising terminal savvy users.
haha! True enough. RingCentral appears to be a commercial service using VoIP. Silly me - I guess I should have said I'm looking for a solution with no service costs. I might pay a reasonable price for the app itself.