or Connect

Posts by eightzero

Telophony on the mac has been a moving target for a long time. I am really curious to see how this pans out. Like many people, I ditched my landline some time ago in favor of my cell phone. One of the things I left behind in doing so was the tried and true fax machine. Sure, old tech, but other people use it, so as a small business owner, I am expected to do likewise. There are apps to do this, but it frustrates me to pay a fee to do so.    It would be nice to have...
Dunno. Really hard to predict. Tablet ideas floated about until Steve walked out with one in hand. I bought one on launch day, and it was value to me. But my iP5s was $199; albeit with a carrier subsidy - that I figured I was going to buy anyway - and I'm having a hard time picturing an iWatch having the utility and value as my iP5s. It better be spectacular starting with a 3 in it. Unless...you think it is a standalone phone too?
Value is a subjective thing. I do concur that they need to make a desirable product, or it won't sell. And they need to make a *profitable* product, or there really isn't a point. Apple doesn't make cheap shit, low end filler, or uncool stuff. The iPod nano that fit on a wrist was $79, IIRC. Tech has advanced a bit since then, costs have come down. It will be fun to see what they come up with.
..and insurance companies and the NSA?
Pretty much agree. this fitness monitor stuff is way overblown. There's apparently some data associated with it - purchasers of these devices lose interest quickly, and they go unused shortly after acquisition. I have a wristwatch, and when I forget to put it on, am constantly looking at my wrist to see what time it is. It's just me though - I get why many people think smartwatch tech isn't for them. I am rather curious about price and battery life. That Samesung thingy...
   I understand your skepticism, and those are indeed good questions. You've provided part of the answer already - "personally" and phrased the questions "why would I?" One can likely safely presume that these apple products will allow a user to select one device or the other, and there are indeed many times where *I* would prefer not to pull out my phone. It's not hard, but there are many, many things in life that are not hard...yet apple products have made so much more...
Opposite camp for me. I really don't see a use for a "fitness band" but an easily accessible display and interface for useful things is intriguing. Rather depends on many factors, not the least of which is price. $50 and I'm in for about any device. $100 it better be good. Hard to imagine value at $200+. Remember - no carrier subsidies. Right?
Or perhaps being very rich and never putting plates on your car, or parking in handicapped spots all the time.
Not often Posner gets stuff horribly wrong. But that "catastrophy" seems to be what Article 1, Section 8, clause 8 of the Constitution seems to require.
This is a very thoughtful, well-written, and creative article. I am going to change the author's name to my own and put it into a book I'm publishing.