or Connect

Posts by Jetz

Have no idea what it is about these forums that bring out the most prickish tendencies in people. 1) Explain to me (hopefully using scientific logic) how synthetic sapphire will retain all the mechanical properties of sapphire, yet have a dramatically different refractive index.  I'm sure my materials prof in my engineering undergrad explaining the characteristics of crystalline structure was all wrong.  Would love to learn something new.  So go on, teach me.  BTW,...
 Refractive index of sapphire: 1.76Refractive index of Gorilla Glass: 1.5 That doesn't mean that sapphire is opaque.  Just that it absorbs light a few percent more than gorilla glass.  I'm sure the trade off with durability is worthwhile for Apple and that's why they use it on the camera lens cover and hopefully (as a GTAT long) on the screen cover glass. So, yes, with the higher refractive index, and the larger display, I do think this will be a wash.  What's your...
Sapphire has a slightly lower transparency. You need more for backlight. Add to that the larger screen. I think this largely going to be a wash.
Hmmm yes. I flew military aircraft for a living. Didn't meet a single guy wearing a Breitling. I think i'd prefer my jam resistant, ftequency hopping, long range radio in my seat pack.Good on Breitling for that marketing that makes people think their buying kit that fighter pilots have.
 I saw the video.  Nice concept.  Still not something that Rolex should get in bed with to dilute their brand.  Swatch maybe.... iWatch can be the modern day Flik Flak with millenials.
 Do you also avoid friendships with anybody who drives a BMW? Indeed, the same argument can be made of anybody who owns Apple products.  After all, a Windows PC and an Android phone can do the job just fine.  So why do you own an $800 iPhone and a $1200 Macbook? Personally, I avoid people who are judgemental.  They always think they are better than everybody else.
 There's a regulatory standard to call your products "Swiss made".  Nothing Apple makes would ever qualify.  Exactly this.  It makes no sense at all.  All benefit to Apple.  No benefit to them.   Nothing is going to happen the Swiss watch industry.  Maybe the loss of some low hanging fruit....like the Wenger I wear everyday.  You think people are going to cross-shop a Movado and an iWatch?  One is a timeless piece that you can actually pass on.  The other is a (very nice)...
I don't see the point of the Swiss watchmakers getting in bed with Apple. Different target markets. Swiss watches are renowned for their mechanical movements, for one, and you won't see LED displays. Let alone, a screen. A Swiss watch is a fashion statement. An iWatch is an everyday tool. Nobody is going to cross-shop a Rolex and an iWatch. On the flip side, given the way that all things Apple are made in China, nothing would hurt those Swiss brands more than...
This whole article is a headfake. Do you have any idea how much sapphire that Mesa plant is producing. If it was just for Touch ID, it would be a tenth the size it is.
If some here had their way, we'd still be paying for maps and email capacity today.   Because hey, there's no way to monetize mapping, email, public video sharing right?   I love Apple's innovation.  But thank Jesus/Allah/Buddah/flying spaghetti monster, that there's companies like Google out there who seek to push the boundaries of science and engineering and worry about the shareholders later.   Indeed, once upon a time, before the iPhone made Apple a...