or Connect

Posts by Jetz

This is like saying the original iPhone was just another smartphone.  If Nest is not-so-special, why are their sales taking off?
  I remember when people said the same thing about Google buying YouTube and when Google launched Maps and GMail. Good on Google that they take risks when so many companies are far more risk-averse. And luckily for Nest, they now have an owner with deep pockets who is willing to turbocharge their progress.  Far from being disappointed, I'm excited to see what Nest will develop, now that they have Google's pockets. My only disappointment is that they never IPO'd so that I...
I installed a Nest thermostat in my condo.  Liked it so much that I gifted my brother one for his condo and installed another one at my parents.   They are awesome devices.   And this was one company whose IPO I was eagerly waiting for.  Too bad.  Kudos on Google for seeing their potential.  And the integration they could pull off will be phenomenal.  I can imagine Google Now  using the Nest's data and my location data to determine when it should turn on the heat in...
 I'd argue that I'm in that target market.  And guess what?  If I didn't already have Apple kit (iPad, iMac, Apple TV) and use certain Apple apps, I would not consider the iPhone at all.  The premium is getting markedly ridiculous.  Benchmark tests have the Nexus 5 at just below the 5S and above the 5C.  64-bit is nothing more than a marketing bullet to the average person.  I find it very unusual and downright amusing, that all the Apple fans who usually disdain spec sheet...
 To each his own, of course.  To me, the screen is a huge part of the user experience.  And I am not going to be squinting every time I use my phone just for the privilege of using iOS.  On the other hand, I fully understand how somebody with smaller hands might find the large phone trend uncomfortable.  In my mind there, needs to be two phone sizes.  And increasingly, in the Android ecosystem there seems to be a trend to three sizes on all the major product lines.  Look...
 I have a GNex and I fully agree with this, having bought the phone in Feb 2012.  But I'm giving this phone to the girlfriend who is replacing a feature phone.  I highly doubt she cares that the phone will run 4.3 instead of 4.4. She'll use it for a year and then get my N5 when I get the N6 or the iPhone 6 (if it meets my conditions).  This is reality.  Only the geeks really care about features.  The only time people really care about OS changes (in my experience) is when...
I find it odd.  People talk about the irrational hatred of Apple, yet go to any Nexus 5 thread today and you won't find too many comments complaining about the iPhone instead. It's a solid device at a great price.  Simple as that.  A full $200 cheaper than the 5C and more capable.  That's good value to me.   For me, everything else is Apple, except my phone.  For several reasons:   1)  Once you use a larger screen, going to the 4 incher sucks monkey balls.  No matter...
It's early days and people are still discovering the limits of this technology.  And those limits will include the social boundaries of using such a device.   Good on Google for getting the conversation started.  And really, in the grand scheme of things, the entire Glass project is probably a rounding error on Google's balance sheet.   I could see a scenario where it's not always worn but worn in certain circumstance.  Wear it when driving.  Wear it when high...
  Thankfully, the rest of the sane world doesn't have America's ridiculously litigious culture.  It's what will sink you guys in due course.  Just watch what all those patent suits do to innovation in the USA over time.