or Connect

Posts by BigBillyGoatGruff

No worries. I'm probably overly sensitive.If I remember correctly, Apple owns the building, and GTAT is staying rent-free as a part of the settlement. I agree that the furnaces may never leave the building. I doubt they get repurposed. What's really for sale is an opportunity to partner with Apple. Hopefully the new partner picks up the good GTAT employees that lost their jobs to bad management. I don't see Apple taking over operations directly, but I would not be...
I'm talking about supply and demand. Greater supply creates a buyers' market with lower prices. There are now 2000 furnaces on the market that weren't there a week ago. Obviously they can be repurposed. But whatever the end use, is there a market out there that will allow GTAT to be able to actually sell these furnaces at a price high enough to repay Apple in full?I never said anything about patents--only furnaces. If you want to disagree with what I wrote, that's...
That's radically optimistic. The gently-used furnace market is saturated with 2000 new furnaces for sale. That will depress prices. Apple announcing that it's process is not ready for production will discourage other companies from attempting what GTAT failed to do. That will also depress prices. Fire sales don't work. They are a way of hopefully not losing all of your ass. Apple will be lucky to recover half of this loan.
I think the opposite is probably true. The engineers probably said we can't do it, but the execs said we can do anything for $439 million. Not to mention the value added to the brand by being an iPhone component supplier...
 I bet there are a whole bunch of people that would pay the full price of the phone and go carrier contract free in order to take advantage of something like this, though.
 But if two of us wish for the same thing...it might happen.Most likely we will both be disappointed.
 That may have something to do with it.I really don't know where they think this is going to take them. They already outsource brick-and-mortar operations to the big box stores, anyway. People shop at Best Buy, then turn around and buy it from Amazon. Best Buy has the overhead, and Amazon makes the profit. A big point in Amazon's favor is the sales tax avoidance. Not that it really saves people a lot of money, but a lot of people lose their minds thinking that they...
 In other words...Reporter who damaged his own credibility by pulling a story from his rectum destroys whats left of his credibility by digging further into said rectum for an excuse.
 That may be fair, but the rumor was picked up (or maybe started) by WSJ. That's not quite the same as buying on a rumor from DigiTimes.
I have begun to wonder if this was the primary factor in Apple's decision to make the iPhone 6 Plus.  Apple probably still thinks it's a fad or a phase in consumer preference, and that part of the market will eventually migrate back to normal-sized phones.  The only thing that will be left is a small percentage of the market that "can't live without" a big ass phone.  At the time, the phablet market was the only place Samsung could really claim a victory, and that was only...