or Connect

Posts by BigBillyGoatGruff

I agree. And I would also add that Apple probably tries as many new things as any other company. They just do it in secret. Apple's market research is done in private, and ideas that don't have the promise of success are shelved.Google's product betas may be successful than you realize, though. Although Google may fail at producing a product, he betas themselves are market research and not necessarily geared toward product testing. Unsuspecting users share data with...
 To be fair, this is one guy with diarrhea of the mouth. When the last minute U2 rumor broke, the band did have the good sense to deny that they were working on anything with Apple.
 Exactly. GMail, Maps, Earth, Android, Chrome, Glass, even Search are merely data collectors for the advertising sales. I doubt that any of the products themselves actually generate much revenue.Back to Rubin--I don't know that I fully understand the idea of a hardware incubator or where he plans to go with this. But considering that he has stolen in the past (or copied or borrowed heavily or however you want to characterize it--allegedly, of course), why would anybody...
 There were over 1 million sign-ups within 72 hours of launch. If there is an announcement soon of some astronomical sum of transactions or dollars processed through ApplePay, all the rest of them will magically come online very quickly.
And just about any terms that someone agrees to under contract are enforceable. It was really a poor decision for these companies to put all their eggs into one basket and agree to the high penalties. The contracts do have an end date, though. These companies will have to determine if it's worth it to breach the agreement. Alternatively, the companies might have some success if they present a unified front and attempt to renegotiate the contracts.It's pretty funny to...
They will have to make CurrentC accept EBT.These stores are too heavily invested in MCX and CurrentC to do anything other than fight Apple for now. From http://www.tuaw.com/2014/10/27/a-closer-look-at-currentc-the-reason-why-cvs-and-rite-aid-are-d/ApplePay had over a million users within 72 hours of launch. What will CurrentC have when fully rolled out...50,000 including company employees that may be strong-armed or otherwise coerced into participation? By that time,...
No worries. I'm probably overly sensitive.If I remember correctly, Apple owns the building, and GTAT is staying rent-free as a part of the settlement. I agree that the furnaces may never leave the building. I doubt they get repurposed. What's really for sale is an opportunity to partner with Apple. Hopefully the new partner picks up the good GTAT employees that lost their jobs to bad management. I don't see Apple taking over operations directly, but I would not be...
I'm talking about supply and demand. Greater supply creates a buyers' market with lower prices. There are now 2000 furnaces on the market that weren't there a week ago. Obviously they can be repurposed. But whatever the end use, is there a market out there that will allow GTAT to be able to actually sell these furnaces at a price high enough to repay Apple in full?I never said anything about patents--only furnaces. If you want to disagree with what I wrote, that's...
That's radically optimistic. The gently-used furnace market is saturated with 2000 new furnaces for sale. That will depress prices. Apple announcing that it's process is not ready for production will discourage other companies from attempting what GTAT failed to do. That will also depress prices. Fire sales don't work. They are a way of hopefully not losing all of your ass. Apple will be lucky to recover half of this loan.
I think the opposite is probably true. The engineers probably said we can't do it, but the execs said we can do anything for $439 million. Not to mention the value added to the brand by being an iPhone component supplier...