or Connect

Posts by john galt

...that it's so much fun to review the prognostications of the not-too-distant past! Apple should close its retail stores. After all, they didn't work for Gateway Apple should "pull the plug" on the iPhone. (A must read from my favorite blowhard. The whole thing is a pull quote.) Another fail from the Mayor of Blowhard "It's the Pippin all over again" ...what's a Pippin? Apple RIP ...from Forbes??? Sometimes even the smart ones get it wrong, apparently. Random...
You vote your shares, Dr. I'll vote mine. I'll win.
The iPad is an immensely flexible tool that will change the way we think about mobile connectivity. It's a luxury commodity that commands a high margin, it's selling phenomenally well, and its eventual capabilities are limited to one's imagination. Tickle Me Elmo is a doll.
No. I don't want dividends. Dividends are for utilities and staid old fossils like MSFT. Apple is a technology leader that needs to continue growing. I like the $40B in the bank. I love its price appreciation. MSFT responded to demands for dividends, and pays, what, 3¢ a share (correction: 13¢.... big deal). Its share price has been flat ever since (of course, being a has-been of a company is a factor too). No dividends.
My SE/30 runs it just fine. Along with Hypercard, Excel, Word, etc... It's even networked (Appletalk). See this video (not mine): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blywSnj4IgkSomewhere around the net is a "fat mac" running a server. Any computer running Classic can run MacPaint era programs, including the G3 iMac that I use every day - I'm using it right now, though I upgraded to Tiger and haven't had any need for Classic for many years. I still use an Imagewriter II for...
Bear in mind deciding where to locate an antenna's terminations is far from a trivial decision. Despite the fact there is no known correlation (yet) between cell phone use and cancer, no phone manufacturer designs the radiator near the skull - think liability. Every phone I know of today emits the most RF energy at its lowest point, which explains covering the base of most phones with one's palm causes signal degradation. The iP4 is no different. I'm sure Apple did...
Yes, back when Jobs thought Apple had to grow up and be more like a "real company", in need of adult supervision under a "real CEO". This led to his hiring John "sugar water" Sculley. He learned the error of his ways. Lose the tie.
You may find it convenient to have a charging device attached to a wall receptacle all the time, but I find it more convenient to have a keyboard attached to the computer all the time. Neither component is useful without the other. You even said the charger would rest near the display anyway. Isn't that where you keep the keyboard? Besides, when the computer is "off", so is the keyboard, and I have no ancillary charging devices or batteries to maintain. Batteries... a USB...
You would want a wireless keyboard, that must be placed on a wired pad to charge it? Why? "Wireless charging" is gimmicky. I doubt you'll see anything like that from Apple. (Not to be confused with a true wireless charging concept - one that uses the energy from cellular transmissions to supply tiny amounts of charging current. I seem to recall Nokia was working on something like that.)