or Connect

Posts by Jack99

PCW's test itself is a mess. Everyone I know in LA and SF gets way above the figures shown on that map. Buddy gets at least 15mbps in LA on his Thunderbolt.No surprise that every single person I know at my school who was on AT&T has jumped ship for Verizon in the past 2 years.
Wow, such an insightful comment. Please, shower us with more of your wisdom!
My sentiments exactly. Samsung's components business, though a part of Samsung Electronics, has more to gain from working with Apple and vice versa. It's a beneficial relationship for both sides. Cold.
Yes, because Apple is infallible and eternal.
Sad, but true. On a larger scale, Sony represents much of the Japanese industry in general. They're in denial and always pining away at the memories of their old glory days. That's why I smh every time I hear about a Japanese company trying to repeat successes of the past or take a page from Samsung's book, which turns out to be a huge mistake years later. Like Sharp investing billions of dollars in a 10th generation plant in Sakai, only to 3 years later require a de...
Pay more attention to news in the tech world. Good reason Nvidia was whining about the liabilities TSMC was creating. I don't blame them. When your shareholders are breathing down your neck, you'll be pushing to find a new supplier! Yes, Apple tried going to TSMC multiple times. And guess what? TSMC couldn't deliver! Don't take me the wrong way. I'm not bashing TSMC. But TSMC doesn't get any brownie points from me for being horrible at execution. If you're going to push a...
Ummm, here's the thing. People here on AI bash on the DOJ and cry foul anytime they bring suit against Apple for anticompetitive practices as defined under the FTC or Sherman Act. These are laws that have existed for decades and withstood all manner of Apple fanboy hate. But a $30 fee? It's not illegal for a company to slap a higher price tag or an extra fee for a good or service. I'm not saying I particularly love this fee. The bigger issue not enough people are paying...
Either that, or one or more foundries will have to engineer another mind-blowing breakthrough in fabbing tech. All these papers published within the past 2 months alone are showing it's getting more and more expensive to go to lower nodes and profitability is taking longer to achieve. Samsung should be able to move up a couple of spots on the rankings for foundry revenues and get more business for 2012. But I have to wonder whether we'll see any foundries moving into the...
I'm no expert on the issue, but based on what I've read, yes and no. Nvidia's been getting screwed over by TSMC's delays. Don't get me wrong--TSMC is a competent foundry company. They've got a long history of success with a market share of about 49%. That's impressive. But they've been having troubles churning out chips at 28nm. All these reports and charts surfacing are showing why. It's becoming more and more difficult to cut costs and achieve profitability at lower...
Smart move on Apple's part. They probably caught wind of TSMC's 28nm fabrication issues, did the math, and figured out they'd get more consistent yields with Samsung through their 2nd generation 32nm process. Recent papers are even showing there's a strong possibility Samsung's Foundry operations may in actuality have lower costs than TSMC's. Seems to me the higher-ups at Apple are being pragmatic.